Chapter Fourteen

At some point during the night, Can had finally fell asleep. When he opened his eyes, the first sign of light was visible through the foggy mist coming from the river. He sat up, noticing he was holding her scarf in his hand. He smiled, she knew what she was doing when she put that in his bag. It had been his lifesaver during the night, it was just enough of her to let him sleep, but the thought of her filled his head and his desire for her started to rumble deep inside him. He wondered what she was doing, was she awake yet, was she still sleeping, maybe in his t-shirt. He shook his head hard, " Ok, get you head on straight, this is no place to be distracted." He said out loud. If you didn't have a clear head in these situations, an accident was just waiting to happen. He grabbed his jacket and went out to find Salvador, he was ready to get started. The quicker they got started, the quicker they would be finished, and he could get back to her. He found Salvador at the fire, the smell of coffee strong in the air. He had never been a big coffee drinker, but it did smell good to him right then. Tea was his preferred drink, it was "their" drink, and she brewed the best tea he had ever drank, he thought, letting his mind fill with the thought of her. " Mr. Divit,....Mr. Can, are you ok." He asked, trying to get his attention. Can snapped around, " Oh,...yes, I'm fine, just trying to wake up." Whats on the agenda for today?" He asked trying to clear his head of her.

The hot mineral baths had seemed to work wonders for Sanem, as she felt her body become weak and weightless as she drifted off to sleep that night. Her mind was still filled with Can, and how much she missed him, but she couldn't hold her eyes open. She knew the phone reception up there around the ruins, was spotty to say the least, and he had told her they were camping in even a more remote area than before, so a phone call from him was probably not gonna happen. So she surrendered to the sleep that had taken her over. She didn't dream that night, she just slept hard, and woke startled, feeling like there was something wrong. The light was already shining in the window, as she sat up in her bed. Why had she felt like this, just a twinge of concern, not a fear, but more of a dread. She shook it off and got up out of bed, a good hot shower would do the trick, she thought, as she stepped in under the hot water, letting it run over her. She relaxed, as she leaned against the wall and wished for Can to magically appear, her heart was begging for him. She dried off and threw one of his t-shirts on over her bare skin. The feel of it touching her made her shiver, she closed her eyes and let the feeling envelope her. She needed him so much, and she couldn't wait until he was home. She made her tea, and wondered how he was getting along without his, as she sipped the hot drink. She should have brewed his tea to take with him in a thermos, then he could have warmed it up over the campfire,....she would do that next time. She reached for her notebook, as her thoughts begin to overwhelm her, she had to write them down so he would know how she felt while he was gone. How much she missed him....

She wrote for a while, not even noticing the time, until her phone rang, " Hello Esteban, how are you this morning." She asked. " Well it's not morning anymore, but I'm doing fine." He replied, with a slight laugh. She looked at her phone, " Oh my it's already 1:00, am so sorry, I've been writing and lost all track of time." She said. " Writing,...what are you writing? He asked, curious about it. She cleared her throat, " Oh it's just a pastime, you know, like a diary of my feelings and thoughts." She explained, getting a little embarrassed talking about it. " So what do you have planned for today, I hope we can go to the orphanage." She stated, with a certainty in her voice. Esteban suggested they go to the cafe for lunch and then to the orphanage, "I'll drop you off there and come back later to see that you get home safely, I have a couple of thing to take care of." He said. He knew he needed to keep a safe distance from her, for the rest of his time working for them. Just do the job and nothing more, was playing around in his head, as he listen to her talk. Sanem was glad he was just dropping her off at the orphanage today, she knew that Can was a little jealous, " Oh, that's fine, so let me dress and I'll meet you in 15 minutes." She answered. She still didn't know why Can felt like he needed to hire a bodyguard for her, the town seemed perfectly safe to her, the people where so nice and accommodating. The only thing she was grateful for was him being her interpreter. She quickly dressed, putting on one of her sundresses she had brought. The temperature was warm and the humidity was even worse, making it feel sticky. Her hair went up in a ponytail, and she grabbed her sunglasses. He was already standing at her door, when she opened it, making her jump...and him laugh. They headed to town, with him telling her a funny story along the way, " He did make her laugh, and she was thankful for the company." She thought, wondering why Can had felt jealous of him. 

The lunch had made her feel better, she food was always delicious and she loved discovering new dishes. But she felt anxious to get to the orphanage, as soon as she entered the door a  feeling of worry came over her. Maria met her in the hallway, " Ms. Sanem, Beni is very sick, so it might not be a good idea for you to see him today." She said, holding Sanem's hand. Esteban relayed the message, but Sanem already felt what she was saying. " What,...whats wrong with him." She asked, feeling frantic. It seemed he had a problem with his lungs from birth, and at times he would develop bronchitis, causing him to have a hard time breathing. They gave him breathing treatments just trying to keep him comfortable. Sanem wasn't about to leave, she shook her head, " No, I want to be with him, I will help you with him, just let me in." She begged. The priest agreed to let her in the nursery, and when Beni saw her he smiled that big smile that melted her heart. Her heart cried, as she picked him up from the crib, and he grabbed onto her. She could hear and feel the struggle he was having to breath, but he still smiled and laughed with her. 

She tried desperately to keep her emotions in control, as she helped them with his treatments. "What would she do if something happened to this little boy." She thought, fighting back the tears.......

All she could think of was Can, Can would know what to do.......he would make it all better

" He had to".........