Chapter Seven

The phone blared in here ear, jarring her from her sleep. " Hello Abla, is there something wrong?" Sanem asked in a panic. The time was 6:15 am, why was she calling a this hour? She wondered. " Sanem, are you sleeping? Sorry to wake your but, I really need talk to you." She blurted, hardly able to contain her excitement. " What is it Leila, is something wrong with dad, or mom." Sanem asked, bolting upright in bed. Leila sighed, " No, nothing like that, I just need to talk. I need advice." She stated. Sanem rubbed her eyes, " About what? When did you ever listen to anything I said anyway." She said, confused at the whole conversation. " It's about Emre, she spouted. " I just got home from a dinner with him, and I'm really confused about what I'm  feeling right now." She said, her voice high pitched and panicked. Sanem was trying to make sense of this, " Why were you having dinner with Emre, and what feelings are you talking about?" Samen asked, fully awake and curious now.  Leila cleared her throat, " Well, because he asked me, that's why, and he's been so nice and attentive lately,.... I think he likes me." She said hesitantly. " WHAT! Emrebey,....and you, Leila you know he's a lady's man, he doesn't seem to be your type" she stated, not wanting to say what she really thought. " He has a dozen women at a  time, you've seen this over the years while working at the agency." Sanem said. " That's just the way he is." Leila remained quiet, " Abla, are you still there? Sanem asked, " What do you feel for him, do you like him." She said. Leila thought for a minute, " You're right, he's not my type,....what was I thinking." She said, with a slight laugh. Sanem sighed, " Abla, I really don't know what you're talking about, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Hey,.. I miss you, i miss you all, but you should see this place, it's fantastic." She shouted. " Can will be home today, and I can't wait." She spouted. 

They talked for a while about the town and the people, then they hung up, with Leila promising to give their mom and dad a big kiss for her the next morning. Sanem was fully awake now, and could think of nothing but Can. She wondered what time they would be arriving, and if maybe she would have time to be granted another visit to the orphanage, but Can had told her specifically to wait at home for him to arrive, so she would make the visit to the church another day. She showered, and dressed, then waited......she wished she could cook, she would love to have something special for him when he got home. She grabbed her phone and called Esteban,                  " Good morning, Esteban, I need to ask you a favor," she said, " what is your favorite dish, but something easy to make?" She asked. Within minutes he was knocking on her door, " Ok, the most favorite thing for me is, Aji de Gallina. It's a delicious chicken stew." He said, waving his hands in the air. Sanem loved the way he explained things, so animated, " So do you know how to fix it?" She asked. He looked at her, raising his eyebrows, " My mama, raised us to take care of ourselves, and that meant cooking, so yes, I can prepare you a delicious pot of Aji de Gallina. Sanem shook her head, " No,no, I want you to teach me how to make it." I want to cook for Can, he'll be home later today, and I want to surprise him." She said smiling at him. 

The little apartment was abundant with the aroma of onions and peppers cooking. She was surprised at how simple the recipe had been, and the effort that she had put forth wasn't near as  daunting as she expected. She was quite proud of herself. Esteban left instructions on how to finish the dish, once Can was home and ready to eat. Telling her to be sure and serve it over rice, and it traditionally was accompanied by the hard boiled egg, sliced and on the side. But the longer it simmered together the better the taste. He left her finishing the meal, and returned to his room down the street. She was carefully watching the pot, making sure it didn't stick or boil to fast. She always talked to her food as she prepared it, she was busy talking to the pot, and didn't hear the door open slowly, and Can peeked his head in the door. She was distracted by stirring something in a pot, it smelled delicious, like nothing he had ever smelled before, but he was more interested in his wife than the food on the stove. The sight of her make him weak, almost unable to move, as he watched her. He moved towards her, his body aching to hold her. She felt his presence as he came closer, she turned around to see her husband there, his eyes said more than his words ever could. She welcomed him into her arms, and felt that rush of desire that always filled her soul when  he was there. 

It had only been 2 days but it felt like an eternity to him, as his body felt hers, the softness, the tenderness of her. This was worth everything to him, to be here with her, his wife, his love. How had he lived his life before without her, he couldn't remember, but he knew it wasn't with love. She looked into his eyes, " Can, I missed you so much, I'm not sure if I can do this for 2 months, I mean, be without you for days at a time." She spoke, softly, slidding her hands down his back. He breathed deep, and closed his eyes, letting her hands feel him, caress him, like only she could. He felt the same way, wishing she could be with him on each of his trips, but the circumstances where different here, so they would have to make it work and be thankful for this time. He was glad it was only for a couple of months......

He watched her as dipped up the stew into a bowl, and brought it to him, " I'm sure you're going to love it, I hear this is one of the most favorite dishes of Peruvians." She said, eyeing him intently as he took the first taste. The flavor was amazing, it was filled with spices but nothing over the top, just a smooth mild taste. He looked at her, " You made this yourself, it's wonderful." He exclaimed, as he dived in to finish the bowl. " Yes, with the help from Esteban, he's the one that gave me the recipe." She said. "But I did most of the cooking myself." She said proudly. Can had a twinge of jealousy stab him in the stomach, " So Esteban came here and helped you cook, is that right ? He asked. She nodded, " Yes, and he's has other recipes he said he would help me cook, if I wanted." She replied with excitement. " So what do you think, it's great isn't it." She asked, looking at him for approval. 

Can agreed, " Yes, it is. Did you go anywhere, see any of the sights while I was gone." He asked, trying to hide the jealousy that had reared its ugly head. He was the one that hired the man to protect her, so why was he so upset with him being with her.....he swallowed hard, feeling that knot in his stomach get bigger.......