LATE!

"Ring... ring..."

"Ugh... I don't want to get up..." I groan.

Oh wait, it's the first day of school. Just great. No more holiday when I can sleep in.

I blink drowsily and yawn, stretching my arms out. Looking at the alarm clock, its 8am. Wait, WHAT?! Oh man, my class starts at 8.30am, I have to hurry! That snaps me awake fast and I spring out of bed. I rush to the bathroom and shower, change and tie my hair up in its usual ponytail before grabbing my backpack and hurrying out. No time for breakfast today. Serves me right for oversleeping.

I'm sprinting to the bus-stop when I see my bus pulling up. "Wait! Wait for me!" I yell desperately, waving my hands to catch the bus driver's attention. Fortunately, he sees me and graciously waits till I practically fling myself onto the bus and pay my fare. "T-thank you...sir..." I manage to say in between laboured breaths. I get a smile in return and find a seat, waiting for my legs to stop feeling like they'd just gone numb. I check my watch. 8.15am.

I let out a relieved sigh. I'm not going to be late for school. Everything is absolutely fine. Ten minutes later, the bus stops outside my school and I scurry out. I have five minutes to make it to my first class of the day. Thank Gaia my classroom is near the entrance of the school. Dashing to my class, I make it just in time, only mere seconds before Mrs Sierra, the Arithmetic teacher, enters the classroom. Beside me are Tifa and Aerith, both my best friends since young. They greet me with smiles and I grin back.

The lesson begins and to my surprise, I've already covered this topic beforehand! Heh, studying beforehand does have its perks. I slide a note to Aerith, who only frowns at me disapprovingly. Okay, bad choice. Aerith was always the goody-two-shoes. She doesn't approve of not paying attention in class and all that. She tried to make Tifa and I take notes for the whole lesson once, but gave up eventually. All we did was giggle and write gossip to each other. I scribble a new note and pass it to Tifa instead. Tifa doesn't really focus much on studies, but her grades are fine, so she's got nothing to worry about.

To my delight, Tifa takes the note and reads it, then scrawls her own reply and slips it back to me. We both stifle giggles before Aerith can find out and scold us. That's how the rest of the lesson goes, us passing notes to each other while Mrs Sierra drones on and on and on... if not for the note passing I'd be asleep long ago. The bell rings, signalling my release from Arithmetic. Peeking down at my timetable, I see that P.E is next. Yes! Finally something good!

"Race you to the Hall! (Where we have our P.E)" I challenge Tifa and Aerith. "You are on!" replies Tifa, an eager grin stretching across her face. "Three, two, one, GO!" shouts Aerith. Let me tell you, hallway racing is an art. You have to know when to dodge aside and not knock into people and where to put your feet so that you don't slip. Tifa has the lead, but I take a shortcut and come ahead of her. She's too busy running to notice. I bet they still think I'm behind them. Aerith is pretty fast, she's almost overtaking me even now! No! I put on an extra surge of energy and lunge ahead. The door to the hall is in sight, I just have to touch it to win...

"YES!"

My fingertips just graze the door as I halt abruptly to watch Tifa and Aerith race for the second place. Meanwhile, I'm standing there panting, trying to get my breath back. "Good job Aerith!" I cheer as Aerith nearly slams into me just ahead of Tifa. We share a heartfelt laugh and go inside the Hall for P.E.