Deal or No Deal?

A week later, we’re back at Aerith’s house. And when I say we, I mean including the boys. We figured it was high time Tifa and Cloud got together anyway. Zack and Aerith are now officially a couple, and they look absolutely perfect together! I was right, they really are a match made in Heaven.

Right now, we’re playing Monopoly Deal in the living room. Zack has decided to be the Banker and sit out this game, claiming that he sucks at it. Aerith merely snorted at his proclamation. We’re playing on the coffee-table, with Sephiroth beside me on the couch, Aerith on a gigantic beanbag, leaving Cloud and Tifa on a single armchair. I have a feeling Aerith planned the lay-out like this on purpose to put Cloud and Tifa together.

She’s one devious girl, all right. I’m just glad that she’s my friend, and not my enemy.

I put down a Pass Go card and take two more cards, groaning when I see them. More useless property. “I swear this game hates me.” I grumble. The other two cards I lay down are money cards, worth a total of 4 million. Aerith draws her two cards, and grins. ”Tifa, I’m exchanging my Oriental Avenue for your Marvin Gardens.”

Tifa gets a dismayed look, which soon disappears when she quickly shuffles through her cards and slaps a Just Say No down. “Access denied, Aerith.” Aerith leans back, pouting. “Shoot, and I thought that was gonna work.” Cloud chuckles and tells her, “No way, girl. None of us here are going to let you win, right Teef?” Tifa blushes a little at Cloud’s nickname for her, but nods.

Aerith passes the rest of her turn. Now it’s Tifa’s turn. She thinks for a bit, before laying down Virginia Avenue. That catches my attention. I want that property. I’ve almost got a full pink set, I just need that! Sephiroth senses my excitement and turns to look at me, a half-smile on his lips. “Don’t you dare do anything, that property is mine!” I whisper into his ear. “Never, my dear. I wouldn’t dare.” He replies jokingly.

“Everyone, 3 million!” Tifa calls out, tossing out a Rent card for her St James Place property. Mutters and groans from everyone, but we have to cough up the cash. I reluctantly hand over 3 million to Tifa, who accepts it with a nod. “And now, on to you, Cloud!” Cloud doesn’t waste any time in drawing his two cards and placing a St Charles Place. Hmm, looks like I have a choice to make. Tifa or Cloud?

He rents everyone for another 4 million from his red full set. Bye, money, I think to myself as I hand the 4 million over. My money stash is depleting really fast, and I don’t have any Rent cards. Not good. On the bright side, I’m the closest to winning at the moment. I’ve got one full set and another nearly complete. Sephiroth and Cloud only have one full set each, Tifa and Aerith don’t even have full sets at all.

“Lilly, I’m taking your Boardwalk set, got a Just Say No?” I snap back to attention when Cloud addresses me. Looking down at the Action Card pile, I see the dreaded Deal Breaker there like a death knell. “AW WHAT?!” Flicking through my cards, I pray for a Just Say No card, but don’t get it. Shucks, if Cloud takes this property then I’ll be the last! And I’m so close to winning!

Sighing, I prepare to give him my precious full set, when Cloud speaks again. “Or, if you don’t want to give that up…you could give me something else.” “Hey, no fair! You can’t trade other things in the game! “Zack protests, but I wave him off. His voice is laced with a teasing note, and I lean forward eagerly. Anything for my full set.

“You could kiss me on the lips.”

I’m sorry, did I hear that wrong? Did he just ask me to kiss him? Ew, hell no! My thoughts run at the speed of a bullet train. I make a gagging noise and reject the offer, before picking up the set to hand over, intending to leave things at that. Too bad for me that a certain someone doesn’t seem very pleased at the suggestion.

In a flash, Sephiroth is up and holding Cloud by the collar. “What did you say?” he hisses menacingly at Cloud. Cloud’s got that mischievous look in his eye, and he answers, “I asked her to kiss me. Anything wrong with that, pretty boy?” I wince inwardly. That’s the worst thing he could have done. Sephiroth absolutely hates people calling him that. Tifa and Aerith have dropped their cards, and stand beside me, wanting to do something, but not knowing exactly what.

Zack’s trying to separate the two, but one look from Sephiroth is enough to make him back off. “Do not call me that. Ever. If you want to escape with all your limbs attached, you do not mess with me, or Lilly, or anyone she cares about. Got it?” By now, Cloud’s realised-albeit too late- that Sephiroth’s serious about this. Holding his hands up in a meek gesture of surrender, Cloud mutters a brief apology. “I was just kidding…”

Tifa stands by Cloud’s side and glares at Sephiroth. I can tell she’s about to launch into a tirade against him, but I give her a pleading look and her expression softens. Aerith places an arm on her shoulder, murmuring something to Tifa. Tifa listens, not taking her eyes off us for a moment, but gradually she relaxes. She whacks Cloud over the head, muttering something about “stupid idiots” and “don’t know when to keep his mouth shut”.

I’m grateful that Sephiroth stood up for me, but I really don’t think what he just did was necessary. We could have talked things out, after all. I excuse the both of us as courteously as I can and drag Sephiroth to another room. Aerith gives me a wink as I pass, knowing full well what I’m about to do. In fact I’ve done this many times before, with Tifa.

“Lilly, what?” Sephiroth’s confused expression brings a smirk to my face. Poor guy. He doesn’t know what’s going to happen next. I take a deep breath, sucking in as much as air as I can into my lungs.

“SEPHIROTH YOU BAKA!!!”