His Gift

I blink sleepily as my alarm clock goes off with its usual annoying beeping. Groaning, I slap a hand on it to shut the alarm off, then grudgingly sit up in bed. At first I think it's another weekday. Then I realize that today's Saturday. Thank Gaia. I'd sleep in, but knowing myself, I won't be able to go back to sleep once I'm awake. So I stretch luxuriously on my bed, enjoying the leisure time I have on weekends, unlike weekdays where I'm rushing every single minute.

Sprawled out on the sheets, my hand snags on something sitting beside my alarm clock. Interest sparks, and I reach over to grab it. I find myself staring at a shiny wrapped box with my name written on it in silver pen. It can only be from one person.

Sephiroth.

This must be that birthday gift he was talking about in his email. My first thought is to open it, but then I think twice and decide to try puzzling out its contents from what I can see on the outside. Not like there's much to really see. It's just a box covered with wrapping paper that's got printed hearts on it. How sweet of him. I have to literally tear my hands away from it for a few moments, just in case I can't help tearing open the wrapping paper.

I try to put myself in Sephiroth's shoes. What would I buy for a girlfriend? Needless to say, I don't really get very far with that. He wouldn't buy me clothes, not likely. He knows I'm not one for dressing up most of the time. Of course, I do have my girlish moments, but those are just once in a while things.

Would he?

That's it. I'm opening this thing. I snatch the present and begin hastily ripping off the crinkly wrapping paper, then remove the lid of the box. Gently, I pick it up and watch it unfold before my astonished eyes.

It's a dress. But I've never seen a dress like this before.

Beautiful red-gold silk cascades downwards from my fingers, a river of molten gold. The fabric is silky and smooth to the touch, shimmering faintly in the morning light, making it looks almost ethereal. Like it was spun in moonlight. Intricately woven details wind their way around the dress and the bodice, giving it the appearance of being wreathed in bright burning flames. Tiny beads wink at me from where they've been neatly sewn into the hemline.

As if I'm in a dream, I slowly rise and divest myself of my rumpled nightclothes. Then I slip the dress on, feeling a brief pinching feeling at the back, like there's something hanging behind. The dress flows downwards, starting from just below my collarbones in a shape that looks like the tips of a fire. The full, knee-length skirt swishes and ripples when I turn, and I do it again. The edge of the skirt appears as if it's catching fire at the tips, an illusion. I walk towards my mirror to take a look at myself, and I can't help a sharp gasp.

Those things that I felt behind me...

They were wings.

A pair of raven black wings spread out magnificently from my back. One look sends my mind reeling back to the time Sephiroth revealed his single black wing to me. Did he specifically design this outfit to remind me of him? If he did, then he definitely succeeded. Now I can't stop thinking of him while ogling myself in the mirror.

For once, I actually look...stunning. Elegant. The dress of fire has turned me into a phoenix. A phoenix with glossy black wings. They even move up and down when I raise or lower my own arms. Just as if they were real attachments to my arms. I twirl again, watch myself in the mirror, watch the dress catch fire and shimmer as the skirt swirls around my legs. I can scarcely find the words to describe it, you have to see its beauty and truly appreciate it for yourself.

Just for fun, I contemplate doing my hair up, then decide to just comb it out and leave it hanging naturally on my shoulders. Maybe curl it a little, just at the tips of my hair.

The doorbell rings, and at once I bounce out of my room to open the door. I greet my shocked mother with a cheerful, "Hi!" then spot Tifa and Cloud as well as Zack, all wearing equally stunned expressions on their faces. If I had a camera I'd've been snapping away at them by now.

I wish I have some wise-ass remark,but the first thing that comes out of my mouth is something I hardly ever, and I really mean ever, say.

"Like my new dress?"