20 Questions!

Sephiroth pulls out my chair for me when I sit down and I reward him with a smile. Finally, all the dishes are laid out and Mom slips out to 'give us some privacy', or so she says. I have a feeling that she's trying to set us up with each other. Weird, how other parents are so strongly against love and coupling, but my Mom seems to actually encourage it. I guess it's for the best.

There's fried chicken, my favourite dish, and a creamy mushroom soup, sprinkled with potato wedges and stir-fried broccoli. It's not a lot, but then again, she usually only cooks for two. Does that mean she gave up her share of food so that Sephiroth and I could eat together? Oh no! Sephiroth looks at me and seems to guess my thoughts. "Don't worry about your Mom. She's actually upstairs ordering takeout noodles right now." he chuckles. "How?'

"She told me so herself just now.  I think she actually approves of us being together. Strange..." he muses. I laugh and reply, "You can say that again! Anyway, tuck in!" I invite, waving my fork at the dishes.

To be frank, I'm not eating as much as I'm watching Sephiroth eat. Gaia, everything he does seems graceful! How the hell does he pull it off? He's nibbling at a chicken leg skilfully even as I'm thinking this. The only problem is that he's picked up on the staring and inquires," You okay? Because, you're not eating very much, you know." I snap out of my reverie and pile food on my plate. Hey, I'm a big eater. Normally, guys, even girls, would be turned away by that, thinking that I'm a glutton. But Sephiroth doesn't do that. His lips twitch in the beginnings of a grin, but he says nothing, just continues eating.

Due to my large appetite, the food is gone within minutes. Leaning back and smacking my lips in satisfaction, I glance over at Seph. Yes, that shall be my new pet name for him. Leaving the dishes to my mom, I knock on her door as I pass by, a signal that we're done. Sephiroth rolls his eyes at me and I roll my eyes back at him. "Shall we go up to my room?" I say unwittingly, just like what I'd say to Tifa and Aerith, then clap my hands over my mouth as soon as the words are out. "Oops, I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to be suggestive or anything!"

A low chuckle rises in his chest, I'm standing close enough to hear it and smack his hand gently for it, pretending to be exasperated. "I get it, I'm just laughing at the look on your face when you realised what you'd said. And yeah, why not? Just make sure to leave the door open so I don't get tempted." He says, finishing off with a smirk. "Se-eph!" I whine. He merely gestures for me to lead the way.

When I open the door to my room, he steps in and takes a good look around. The walls are lilac and my desk, books are scattered all over the table. That's just me. Even Mom has given up on cleaning it, since it'll just get messy five minutes later anyway. My bedcovers are sky blue, the pillows a slightly darker shade of the same colour. There's only one chair, so I let Sephiroth sit on it while I'm perched on my bed.

"Let's get to know each other better.” I suggest. We start taking turns to think of questions to ask the other, but soon enough we're firing verbal projectiles at each other so fast, that we can't even hear our own answers as it's blurted out.

"Favourite colour?" Seph asks.

"Emerald green." I reply. "Favourite food?' I shoot back.

"Vanilla ice-cream."

"Seriously?" I stare at him in shock. I just didn't expect something so... sweet. No wonder he tastes like vanilla.

"Yes, seriously. Now are you going to sit there trying to process that or are you going to continue?"

So on and on it goes. I learn that his favourite colour is royal blue, he likes to practise swordsmanship with his katana Masamune, his hair IS really silver, his only friends other than me are Genesis and Angeal, he has to use nearly a whole bottle of shampoo and conditioner to wash his hair daily, he doesn't do too well with people as he can't read their emotions properly sometimes, he's an only child like me, his Mom's a scientist called Lucrecia Crescent, his dad is another scientist called Hojo, who used to abuse him. I try to change the topic when I sense his obvious discomfort at the mention of his father.

"He experimented on me before. Hojo. He injected some green liquid, mako, he called it, into me when I was a kid. It was sheer torture, I tell you. As a result, my eyes changed colour to their current hue. And..." he pauses as if considering something.

I'm unnerved by the mention of his own father experimenting on him. I mean, that's his son! How could he do that? This is a human being we're talking about here! What kind of father would do that to his own child?

"And...I have this."

A single jet black wing sprouts from his right shoulder.