Fangirl Trouble

“All right folks, GET YOUR ASSES INTO ACTION AND FIND A PARTNER! You already know what to do, now go!” barks Cid.

We’re all still kind of stunned, because believe me, Cid Highwind is the last person I’d expect to teach. He was a substitute teacher at first, but somehow clawed his way up the ranks, apparently. Cid Highwind’s lessons have a way of being known for producing the most number of injuries, even the most boring ones. 

“This is going to be one hell of lesson.” Aerith and Genesis say simultaneously. They look at each other, then laugh. The rest of us laugh as well. “Looks like we’re gonna be in for a rough time, eh guys?” Zack says.

I watch as everyone pairs up and I feel a gentle tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see Sephiroth with Masamune out of its sheath. “Care to spar with me?” he asks. “Oh you’re on!” I reply, grinning.

I relish the sound of metal clashing against metal. My scimitar against his katana. While he’s still focusing on the single blade, I swing the second blade at his shoulder. Yes! Off guard! I mentally shout out triumphantly. But he skips backwards a few steps and my scimitar misses its mark.

Instead, he kicks out at my leg while driving Masamune at me. This is a tricky move to escape, since it means I have to jump back far enough out of the sword’s reach- and Masamune has a super long reach. So I somersault upwards over Sephiroth’s head before he can bring Masamune to bear and land two blows, one on each of his shoulders before landing behind him.

Sephiroth growls and rushes at me, scything Masamune low at my feet. Of course, I try to jump up but trip on the protruding hilt of the sword. “Damn it!” I curse as I tumble to the ground. Lucky for me, Sephiroth catches me before I hit my head on the ground. So much like our first meeting… I can’t help thinking, and flush because of the contact and also because everyone’s staring.

Then I hear a high-pitched scream that gets louder with every second. “What the heck?” Sephiroth sets me down gently on my feet before we both turn to face the newcomer. It’s a girl with long blond hair. Did I mention she’s charging straight at us and screaming? ”GET YOUR HANDS OFF HIM! SEPHIROTH IS MINE! MINE YOU HEAR ME? BACK OFF YOU B****!” I’m shocked, to say the least. This must be one of Seph’s fangirls. And she’s obviously mad or jealous or both.

She hits Sephiroth full on and keeps trying to reach me. Sephiroth tries to calm her down by holding her by the shoulders and talking to her. “Calm down, miss. I appreciate the fact that I have fans, but I will not tolerate this kind of treatment from anyone! Lilly’s my girlfriend, nothing you say or do will change that fact! Now you back off!”

Wow. I’ve never seen him get so angry before. Guess this means he’s serious. I’m honestly touched by how he’s defending me from this fangirl. She’s kicking at him now, still screaming obscenities. Sephiroth is getting angrier by the minute, his face is getting colder and more rigid with every word she utters.

I can see that he doesn’t want to hurt her, but sooner or later he will snap. Striding up to the girl, I tell her as calmly as I can that I don’t want any trouble, and that we are indeed a couple. But I only manage to get out the first few words before she slaps me hard in the face.

The sickening sound rings in my ears long after it’s sounded. My hand goes straight to my cheek and whatever I wanted to say has flown out of my mind. Staring at the girl in shock, tears start to pool in my eyes, more from the pain than from emotional hurt. “How’d you like it now, whore? Stay away from my Sephiroth!” she sneers, hands on her hips. She starts to strut off in triumph.

But she forgot about Sephiroth.

He grabs her hand and pulls her back. She turns back, pouting her lips as if expecting a kiss. He slaps her twice on the face and shoves her away. “You fool, just get it in your thick head that I’m taken, got it? I belong to no one except one person, and unfortunately, that isn’t you! Now get out of my sight and don’t bother us again!” the last few words come out as an indecipherable snarl.

The fangirl stumbles back and glares at both of us. Sephiroth glares back and wraps and arm around me protectively, which only seems to make her even madder. She flounces off while still muttering curses under her breath. Sephiroth tries to comfort me but frankly speaking, I’m not upset, just angry at her. She has no right to touch me! I could, technically speaking, sue her for assault. And how dare she claim Sephiroth as her own? She really needs to work on her manners!

I blink and see Sephiroth staring at me in awe, only then do I realise that I’ve been saying all that aloud. “Well. How’s that cheek of yours?” he asks. It still stings slightly, and I wince at the smarting sensation. Sephiroth gently wipes the tears away with a slim finger and I let out an angry sniff.

By now, everyone else is crowding around the two of us. “Are you okay?” ask Aerith and Angeal, the former looking carefully at the now-red cheek. “I should drag her back here and punch her eyes out! You sure you don’t want me to do that?” fumes Tifa. Genesis merely “tsk”s and shakes his head disapprovingly. “Looks like there are still some of your fans who aren’t too happy about your relationship.”

I sigh and wipe my eyes. Crying will get me nowhere. “Forget it. Let’s just-“”TIME”S UP SODS! Class dismissed!” Cid interrupts. Dusting myself off, I slide my scimitars back into their sheaths and walk away. I just want to forget about this incident. Sephiroth makes to move towards me, but is stopped by Genesis and Angeal. “Stop. You protecting her may trigger even more such attacks from your fans. She has her friends anyway.” Explains Genesis, sword unsheathed in case the still-irate Sephiroth attacked him.

Tifa and Aerith rush to my side and escort me to our next class. Jealous stares follow me wherever I go, it seems like the news is already spreading. Just great. Some approach me, but Tifa growls and shakes her gloved fists at them and they back off. However, her fists don’t daunt all of them, and two or three girls come up and hurl insults at me until even the patient Aerith knocks them all out in one fell swoop with her staff.

The lessons go by in a blur. I take notes, not even bothering to whisper to Tifa, but only one thought stays in my head for the rest of the day:

I hate fangirls.