Chapter Fourteen

CHELSEA

"Chels?" My eyes slowly fluttered open to see Dad, who was kneeling in front of me, his hand resting on my upper arm. "What are you doing on the floor?"

"The floor?" I murmured sleepily. I felt the carpet scratching against my cheek, the sunlight was bleeding through the window telling me that it had to be almost noon. Dad slowly helped me sit up. I looked around the room and, sure enough, as if the carpet right below me wasn't proof enough, my bed was sitting across the room, completely vacant. "It wasn't a dream..."

"What wasn't a dream?" Dad asked, but I didn't answer, I was still in shock. Trevor was here...in my room...and he kissed me. "Chels, what the hell happened in here last night?" Dad asked.

"Nothing," I lied.

"Then why is there a knife on the floor?" I looked over by my cockeyed dresser where my open knife was laying. "And your gun is on the table and—" Dad grabbed the gun and checked the chamber. "—loaded." Dad turned back to me. "Was someone in here last night?" I thought about telling Dad the truth, that Trevor was here and I nearly killed him, but what good would that do? All Dad would do is leave the house and finish the damn job. I didn't want Trevor to die, no matter how much I hated him right now...did I hate him? Of course I did, he broke my heart and kicked me to the curb. He thinks he can just climb up my lattice wall like Romeo when he visited Juliet and I'll just swoon and take him back? I don't fucking think so. I had Matt now. Matt makes me happy, and no kiss or declaration of love is gonna change that.

"No," I lied again.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I mean, if someone was in my room, wouldn't of I shouted for you?"

"Not unless it was Matt."

"If it was Matt, would I have gone for my knife and gun?" Dad looked me over for a moment, deciding whether or not to believe my crazy lie.

"Fair enough," Dad sighed. "But if no one was in here, what the fuck happened?"

"I don't know, Dad. I mean, I was having a bad dream, maybe I was sleepwalking."

"Sleepwalking? You? I can barely wake you up as it is."

"True, but sleepwalking affects nearly eight and a half million people ever year, it's extremely common, especially in people who suffer from stress or sleep deprivation."

"You're not sleep deprived."

"No, but the stress of you and Amanda splitting on top of me worrying about you liking Matt is a good reason to be stressed."

"I thought with her gone, you'd be happy."

"Oh, I'm happier than a dog that has caught its own tail, but I stress about you, Dad."

"Ah, don't stress about me," Dad softly smiled. "How about you and I spend the day together?"

"You wanna spend the day together?"

"Yeah. I mean, you still owe me from the day I was hungover." I had completely forgotten about that. Once Matt and I became a thing, I forgot about a lot of things. "Don't feel bad, I get it. A new boyfriend can make you change plans."

"I never meant for me to drop you though, Dad."

"It's okay. Besides, you're gonna make it up today."

"How?"

"Well, how about we start out by going lunch?"

"Lunch?"