Chapter Thirty Four

I was engulfed by warmth. My dreams were filled with love, excitement, and laughter. For the first time in a long time, I felt at peace, but I knew that would all change as soon as I woke up. Why can't I just sleep forever? BANG! Trevor and I quickly sat up in a panic, freezing at the sight of a man standing outside of the truck. "Good morning," the man smiled.

"Morning?" I mumbled, looking up at the sunlit sky above us. What time was it?

"You two got some I.D.?"

"Why?" Trevor groaned.

"Because we got a call about a suspicious car in the middle of the desert. They assumed it was abandoned, but, clearly, it isn't." I looked back at the man, realizing he was a Blaine County officer.

"They're in the bag," I answered, motioning to my bag. The officer grabbed it and searched it before pulling out two wallets and looking at the I.D.s.

"Trevor and Chelsea?" I gently nodded. "Who is the owner of this truck?"

"Me, why?" Trevor asked. "It's all up to date."

"That's not the problem. It's just protocol. You got registration and insurance on you?"

"In the glovebox." The officer walked around the truck and opened the glovebox, examining the registration and insurance. Once satisfied, he returned to the back and looked us over.

"What are you two doing out here?"

"What business is it to you?" Trevor grumbled.

"Plenty. See, this is technically county property. Without permission, we could fine you for tresspassing, but if you work with me, I'm willing to let it slide. It's not my job to get people in trouble for stupid shit, just to make sure everyone is okay and following the law."

"We were camping," I intervened. "He brought me out here as a date so I could see the northern lights since I've never seen them before. We thought about going back home, but we had been drinking, so we thought it safer to stay off the road."

"Very smart decision, ma'am. You two used your judgment well. Now, I have to ask...I don't want to, but I have to...did you two smoke any marijuana last night?" I couldn't even lie, the smell was obvious. Well, Dad's not gonna be pleased with getting the phone call he's about to get."

"Yes," I admitted. "It was mine. Another reason why I wanted to stay off the road."

"Do you have any left on you?"

"No, sir."

"Well, then I guess I can't charge you for possession, plus you look sober to me, so I can't charge you with public intoxication, can I?" The officer smiled. "Tell you what, you two pack up your things and head on home and we'll act like I never smelled anything. Sound good?"

"Sounds great. Thank you, officer."

"Alright," The officer smiled and tipped his hat at us. "You two have a good day." We watched as the officer walked over to his car and drive away, finally letting out the breath we both were holding.

"Fuck, that was close," Trevor grumbled. "Why did you tell him?"

"Because it was obvious. If you're honest, you at least have a chance of getting away with it, depending on the officer and their mood."

"We better thank fucking God he was in a good mood." Trevor turned to kiss me, but froze.

"What?" I asked. I looked over at Trevor and my jaw instantly dropped. "You're sunburnt!" Trevor and I exclaimed in unison. We both quickly jumped out of the truck and looked ourselves over in the mirror. Half our faces were faintly red and hot to the touch. Trevor suddenly burst out into a fit of laughter. "What are you laughing at?"