Chapter Four

Dad and I took everything slow for the first few days. Making small and short trips to the store at first, eventually moving on to longer trips like picking up a movie. I've still been spending most of my time at home, but I've made a few short trips out to enjoy my newly re-established freedom.

I started my training with Paige a few weeks ago and Lester is amazingly surprised on how well I'm doing. I caught on to the traffic light hacking fairly quickly and most of the time I spent on it after the first few days was just fine tuning my craft and putting it to practice. This week, Paige is teaching me how to hack security cameras. It's not as easy as the traffic lights, but I'm finding the work...oddly enjoyable. All these years I thought my calling was psychology and it turns out it was hacking, who knew.

I jolted awake in a heavy sweat, as usual, trying to catch my breath from another nightmare. I was forced to watch the Ballas shoot and kill Trevor and woke up when his body crashed to the floor with a loud thud. "Shit," I sighed. "Get over yourself already, Chels. He's alive and doesn't want you."

I jumped at the sound of another loud thud. I quickly got out of bed, rushed to my dresser, and dug out the pistol Trevor gave me. I kept it close when I realized that he still wanted me to keep it. I mean, he kept my giant bear, it was only right for me to keep this. Besides, I did all that hard work for shit pay, I earned this motherfucker. I quickly checked the clip and made my way out into the hallway.

I felt my heart racing in my chest. Did my new look not hide me enough? Did the Ballas come to finish me off? I gently opened Tracey's bedroom door and peered in, but the only person who was there was Tracey, but she was fast asleep. I made my way towards the bathroom and stopped when I heard another thud.

"Jimmy," I thought to myself. I took a deep breath and quickly opened his door and took aim at the standing figure in the room.

"Whoa!" Jimmy exclaimed as his hands flew up in the air. "Christ, Chels, put that down!"

"God fucking damn it, Jim," I growled and lowered the gun, shutting the door behind me. "What the fuck are you doing in here? I can hear you all the way from my room."

"Sorry, I was just...is that a new haircut?"

"Yes, but—"

"And piercings?"

"Yes, Jim—"

"And what's that on your face?"

"It's a tattoo. Wanna know what's gonna be on your face? My fist and your blood. Now, what the fuck is going on in here?"

"I-I was just...nothing."

"Jim, I'm not gonna shoot you or tell anyone."

"Okay, fine," Jim sighed. "I-I was practicing my moves."

"Your moves?"

"You know...dancing, or whatever."

"What kind of dance? Because from my room, it could've easily been river dancing."

"I-I...please don't tell Dad."

"I won't, Jim. I promise."

"Okay...I was practicing my dancing because...I'm in a band."

"A band?" I smiled.

"Just for get it," Jim snapped. "This is why I didn't tell anyone, I knew I'd get made fun of!"

"Jim, I'm not making fun of you."

"You're not?"

"No, Jim, I just didn't know. So, what is this band called?"