Chapter Forty

A cold chill ran up my spine, my legs quaked underneath me, barely able to hold up my own weight, my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest...Trevor...he was here. I turned around and slowly made my way back into the foyer, watching Dad's rigid stance as he glowered back at Trevor, clenching his fists.

"Hello, Michael," Trevor softly spoke. Trevor stood calmly in the doorway, not a hint of vexation in his eyes. Instead, Trevor spoke and stood as if he was greeting an old friend. Well, an old friend he actually liked, at least.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Dad growled.

"I was in the neighborhood, thought I'd drop by and say hi...and see how you all were doing."

"Fine. Bye." Dad tried to shut the door, but stopped when Trevor put his hand on the door, keeping it open. Trevor's eyes met mine as he looked at me with sympathy.

"Are you okay, Chels?"

"I-I'm fine," I nodded.

"See? Everyone's fine," Dad scoffed. "Now leave."

"Michael—"

"I told you to stay away from me and my family, Trevor. I made that perfectly fucking clear at the hospital."

"I know," Trevor mumbled.

"Obviously that message didn't fucking stick. Get the fuck off my property, or I'm calling the cops." Dad, again, tried to shut the door, but Trevor kept it open.

"I can't do that, Michael."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm not leaving."

"What the fuck is your problem?"

"I think you know, Michael."

"Yeah, I fucking know. You're a fucking idiotic psychopath asking for a fucking bullet in his fucking goddamn head."

"Dad—" I began.

"Chels, I told you to go to your fucking room!" Dad snapped at me and turned back to Trevor. "You have three seconds to get off my fucking doorstep or you'll be buried next to Lamar."

"Michael—" Trevor muttered.

"One!"

"Michael, please—"

"TWO!"

"I'm in love with your daughter!" My eyes widened and everything felt still, as if time stopped in its tracks. I wasn't ready for this moment, but here it was, staring me in the face. Michael finally knew everything. "Look, Michael, I—" In the blink of an eye, Dad raised his fist and slammed it right into Trevor's nose, sending him stumbling back a few feet.

"Dad!" I exclaimed, but Dad ignored me and charged after Trevor. I rushed down the stairs and ran towards the door, but Jim quickly wrapped me in a tight bear hug, forcing me to stop. "Dad, stop!" I begged, but my cries were ignored. I watched as Dad repeatedly punched Trevor as Trevor begged him to let him explain, but Dad wouldn't hear it. "Dad, stop! Please, Dad!"

"Chels, stop!" Jim grunted as he struggled to keep a hold of me. "This isn't your fight."

"Let me go, Jim!" Dad hit Trevor once more and Trevor dropped to the ground; Dad instantly took the opening and began to kick him. "Jim, let me go!"

"Just stay out of it, Chels!"

"I said let me go!" Without warning, I raised my foot and donkey kicked as hard as I could. My foot instantly made impact and a loud groan erupted from behind me as Jim released me and dropped to the ground. I quickly ran outside and as Dad raised his foot to kick Trevor once more, I jumped in between them, holding out my arms in defense. "Dad, stop!"