Chapter Twenty Seven

"What do you mean you have a date?" Dad asked as I rushed around upstairs, trying to get ready.

"I mean that I have a date, dad," I chuckled. "I mean, it kind of explains itself."

"With who?"

"A guy I met on my run."

"Oh yeah, that's safe," Dad scoffed.

"He's very nice, Dad. I think you'll like him."

"Uh-huh, and exactly how did you meet Mr. Very Nice?"

"I was on my run and stopped to get a drink," I lied. "I met him and we got to talking and hit it off real well, so we agreed to dinner tonight."

"Dinner?"

"Is that a problem?"

"No, I guess not...but isn't it too soon? I mean, after what happened between you and Matt, I just don't wanna see you get hurt."

"I won't, Dad. Trust me."

"If you insist."

"Look, I'm not that invested yet, okay? I'm just wanting to try it out and see how it goes. Nothing wrong with that, right?"

"As long as you're being careful...I worry about you, Chels." Dad softly smiled. "Oh, I forgot to ask, did you go out last night?"

"Why?"

"Because I found some dirt in the foyer and on the stairs." My heart instantly began to race. I couldn't believe Trevor actually broke in through the front door just to get the bush into my bedroom. How did the alarms not go off? How did no one wake up?

"Yeah, I couldn't sleep, so I went for a walk," I lied.

"Chels—"

"Just around the yard, Dad, I promise."

"You should really talk to the doctor about your sleeping issues. Maybe he can prescribe you something."

"I'll be sure to run it by him." The doorbell suddenly rang out from downstairs. "That's him," I smiled. "Well, how do I look?"

"A little too inappropriate for a first date."

"Dad," I groaned.

"I'm just saying, is the dress necessary? And I thought you hated dresses?"

"Well, I'm not gonna be a psychologist anymore, so I thought I'd get used to a more relaxed attire."

"This is relaxed?"

"It's fine, Dad. I mean, I could dress like I'm sexually frustrated, would you prefer that?"

"That depends, do you wanna have your legs broken? Because that's what's gonna happen if you try and leave the house dressed like that." The doorbell rang out again. "Fine, you can wear the dress, but I'm meeting him first." Dad made his way down the stairs as I finished putting on my black heels and checked myself over in the bathroom mirror one last time. "Uh...Chels?" I made my way down the stairs and stopped half way down as I looked over the man in the foyer. Oh...my...God.

"Hey, Chels," Cletus smiled. "You look awful purdy tonight."

"T-Thank you, Cletus," I smiled. "Dad, this is Robert, my dinner date."

"Pleased to meet ya, Dad," Cletus smiled and vigorously shook Dad's hand. "Everyone calls me Cletus."

"That's, uh...hey, Chels?" Dad cleared his throat. "I forgot something in the kitchen, can you help me real quick?"

"But we're about to head out," I insisted.

"Now, Chels." I let out a sigh and climbed down he rest of the stairs, giving Cletus an apologetic look before following Dad into the kitchen. "Is this some kind of sick joke?" Dad whispered.