Chapter Thirteen

The way he looked at me gave me pause. He could not possibly know about what Braden has asked me to do, could he? I barely know what Braden has asked me to do. He taps his index finger on his mouth a few times and maintains his intense gaze.

"Well...," I finally answer, choosing my words carefully, "most of the information I saw was around your business ventures and the various charities you support." I was telling the truth; any illegal activities he may be involved in did not show up in any of my searches.

"And my love life, as you've already mentioned." He cocks his brow at me and I blush again.

"Only pictures," I explain. "You know we don't have a huge celebrity culture here in Canada."

"You mean I'm not named Canada's most eligible bachelor?" He gives me a cheeky wink and grin and I instantly relax.

He's just trying to make conversation.

Our waiter brings our salads as we carry on with our conversation. Nikolai, though a man of few words, is quite open and candid throughout our dinner. We talk about our childhoods, our jobs and everything in between. Surprisingly, the conversation flows freely, considering we barely know anything about each other, aside from every curve and dimple in each other's bodies. He is highly intelligent, ambitious and, of course, charming.

"It's remarkable what you've been able to do in your life so far, Lacey."

"Thank you, Nikolai," I joke, "that means a lot coming from someone as aged and wiseas you."

He coughs on his steak as he breaks out into laughter. "You know it's not polite to make your date choke on their dinner, right?"

"I promise if you stop breathing, I'll give you mouth to mouth," I say with a wink.

"I'd prefer mouth to something else, but I'll take what I can get."

Now it is my turn to choke on my food at his not so subtle suggestion. "Nikolai!"

"Too soon, innocent one," he smirks. "Save your screams for the bedroom."

Right at this moment, the sound of clearing throat makes me aware that there is a person behind me. I turn and see our waiter standing at the table, looking very uncomfortable. Mortified, I grab my glass of water and guzzle it down.

"More water, Miss?" he says, trying to maintain his composure.

I look up at Nikolai whose eyes are laughing as he tries, unsuccessfully, to hide his amusement at my embarrassment. The bastard knew he was there when he said that!

"Umm...yes, thank you."

Keeping my head down, I hear as the waiter fills my glass. "May I interest either of you in one of our dessert options?"

"No thanks, I've got something in mind for dessert later," Nikolai says, not even bothering to acknowledge the waiter as he flashes a naughty grin at my ever-reddening face. My eyes widen with shock and the waiter clears his throat again, not entirely sure what to do or say. "But perhaps my lovely date would like something. Lacey?"

Dinner was delicious so the thought of dessert was making my mouth water. "I think so, but I'm not sure what just yet."

"That's fine, Miss. I'll leave you with the menu for a few moments."

"Very good, thank you," Nikolai says, as he dismisses him with a nod. "Why so red, innocent one?" He has yet to remove his gaze from me and his mischievous glint has not disappeared either.

"I can't believe you said that in front of him," I whisper, resting my head in my hand.

"Lacey, Lacey, Lacey, I only speak the truth."