Chapter 23

The following morning, Beatrix felt suspicious of Klaus.

He'd started by going to her room to wake her up. He'd asked her to lower the spell on the house, stating that he felt it safe enough because Hope was no longer in the vicinity. He'd then rather enthusiastically invited her down to breakfast.

She'd been greeted with a table full of treats, and awkwardly sat down to eat next to him, wondering what on Earth had him in such a happy mood. By the time Elijah came down, it was clear something was up with Klaus. He was scheming, certainly.

"Is something the matter, brother?" asked Klaus when Elijah looked at him for the millionth time without saying anything. "Can I fix you a drink, perhaps?"

Elijah rolled his eyes. "Strangely enough, Niklaus, I'm not in a mimosa mood."

Klaus turned to Beatrix, who was calmly sipping her orange juice. "And for you, Beatrix?"

"I'm good, thanks," she said.

"Fantastic! More for me," the hybrid responded pleasantly.

Elijah and Beatrix shared a strange look. "Let's discuss strategy, shall we, Niklaus?" said Elijah. "Just wondering if you actually have one. We can begin with Mikael's ashes— given that they are the main ingredient in our weapon against Dahlia, would you care to tell me where they disappeared to?"

Klaus set down his drink and gave his brother a rather fake smile. "Elijah! I have compelled the city's finest pastry chef for your own personal edification, and yet, you ignore my efforts in favor of needless concerns! Can't you be more like Beatrix and simply enjoy a meal in peace?"

Rebekah let out a groan from the hallway, entering the room looking exhausted. "Can we stop talking so loudly?" she implored as she went over to get herself some coffee.

"What's the matter?" asked Klaus. "New witch body not up to last night's bender?"

"So? I had a few," said Rebekah, sitting down on the opposite end of the table. "It's not every day you lose your father at the hands of your brother. Again."

Klaus laughed heartily, and Beatrix narrowed her eyes at him. "Whoever said opportunity only knocks once, eh?" When his siblings didn't respond, he threw his hands in the air. "Oh, come on! We fled Mikael's tyranny together for centuries! He attempted to kill Marcel and Beatrix! I would have thought the mood this morning might be a bit more jubilant!"

Elijah shot him a cheeky grin. "Under normal circumstances, the annihilation of our father would be rather commendable, Niklaus. Unfortunately, we have a greater threat to contend with."

Klaus stood and went to pour himself another drink, looking disappointed in Elijah. "You know, for someone who's been invited to a celebratory breakfast, you're proving quite the buzzkill."

Elijah sighed loudly. "Well, Niklaus, if anything indeed has killed the 'buzz,' as you say, perhaps it was because murdering Father alienated the one person who truly knows how to defeat Dahlia!"

"Oh, come now, you've forgotten our very trusted Mikaelson witch is sitting right here with us," said Klaus, pointing his drink in Beatrix's direction. "Besides, if Freya wants to be part of this family, she should be willing to accept us, warts and all!"

"Elijah's still right," said Rebekah. "Beatrix can only do so much on her own. Freya knew Dahlia, and she loved Mikael, and you've likely ruined everything."

The hybrid rolled his eyes. "Pity. whatever shall I do?"

"Whatever you please, apparently!" snapped Elijah.