Chapter 59

She awoke naked in his arms, with sunlight lingering over them.

He was caressing her bare back, his chest rising and falling gently beneath her head. He looked pensive, and she gave a soft groan as she craned her head up to look at him. "Good morning," she whispered.

He smiled down at her. "Good morning, love. It's still early. I don't hear Hope awake yet."

She peered over him at the clock on the other nightstand. "She'll be up in maybe half an hour. I should get up... it's my turn to make breakfast today."

He pulled her back into him when she tried to leave. "There are five other adults in this house, I'm certain one can take your turn, love," he whispered as he gave her a kiss on the head.

She blushed, even more when he moved to be back on top of her. But there was a snapping sound and her body gave a jolt before sinking down into the mattress. Klaus chuckled and leaned his head onto her shoulder as she looked around in surprise.

"I forgot you'd fallen asleep by the time I realized we'd broken it," he said, holding her neck as he kissed her lips. "Need to get that fixed..."

"Mmm, or we could just leave it like that," she said lazily, hands going to caress down his back. "No point in fixing it if you're just going to break it again."

"Well, love, you're not absolved for blame in this situation, are you? You're just as guilty..."

"No, I'm not..." He kissed down her neck as she finished speaking, making her wiggle a bit beneath him. "Klaus, we should get up."

"Nonsense, let the others sort out their food, it's not necessary for us to help. If they cannot fend for themselves, they have another predicament on their hands, love."

"Is this a test on survival of the fittest, then?"

"Perhaps. It's been five years. We shall see whether their skills have been diminished or not. If they cannot procure a meal without your help, there will be an intervention."

She laughed lightly. "An intervention for your siblings? I'm sure they can feed themselves, but we can't stay in bed for so long."

He groaned as he moved his mouth down her body. "You never quite minded staying in bed all day in the past—"

There was a knock on the door. "Niklaus," came Elijah's voice. "Let that poor woman get some rest."

Beatrix giggled as Klaus groaned again. "Perhaps if you didn't listen in everytime, Elijah—"

"With all due respect, brother, none of us wanted to listen in. Freya cast a Silencing Spell the first minute we all heard you in throes. However, it has since worn off and if mine ears do not deceive me, I would be inclined to assume that you intend another round."

"Why must you speak so proper?" sighed Beatrix as she squirmed out from under Klaus. "We'll be down soon."

Klaus growled lowly as he got up with her. "Bloody Elijah always has to meddle where he doesn't belong..."

"Shh, let's just go down and eat so you're nice and alert for when your daughter wakes up. I'd prefer you're fed and not grumpy when she meets you. She's a bit sensitive and rather shy."

"What did you and Hayley say to her about me? Terrible things, I presume."

Beatrix sighed. "No, we didn't tell her anything bad. Hayley told her that you're a hybrid, just like her. That you're very old, which she understands because of the stories I've told her about my past. She's seven. We haven't given her any gorey details— we can wait until she's older for that."