Chapter 60

They arrived in New Orleans out of breath and frantic.

"Our home," huffed Klaus as they hurried into the Compound. He was holding Beatrix steady, who was breathing quite slowly. "Once the pride of our family, now a flophouse."

"Indeed, the mighty have fallen," said Elijah as Hayley brushed past, carrying Hope. "Where's Vincent?"

He emerged from behind one of the pillars. "Right here. Kept my word. Now the only question is whether or not you guys are gonna keep yours. As soon as I'm finished healing Beatrix and your kid, you got to leave the city."

Klaus sneered as he eased Beatrix gently into one of the broken chairs. "Well, we're not gonna stay, are we? Your city has lost its charm."

Hayley glared at Klaus. "What he means to say is that we're very grateful, just help them and we'll leave."

Elijah cast Vincent a tight-lipped smile. "Just give us what we need, and we will do so, happily."

He went to Hope first. Beatrix could barely see him, her body feeling weak. He leaned over the little girl and began to chant, "Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a."

Hope's eyes shot open, and she looked around, registering where she was. "Mom?" Hayley approached her quickly, cupping her face gently.

"That's it," said Vincent as he made his way over to Beatrix. "Your little girl's purified. Now, your turn."

He put his hand on her forehead, and she let out a soft breath. He began to chant once again, "Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a."

Beatrix felt like an entire twenty pounds of weight had been lifted from her body. She was able to sit up, and she didn't feel dizzy.

"Thank you," she heard Klaus say as Elijah came forward and offered Beatrix his arm to help her up.

"Now look, the only gratitude I need from any of you is seeing you leave the city," Vincent said as Hayley helped Hope up too. "Go see your daddy," she told her. Hope began to walk to Klaus, but suddenly, a crow dropped dead in front of her. She stumbled back as all around, dead crows began to fall. Hayley ran to Hope, hugging her tightly and almost trying to shield her vision as the birds continued to fall, creating a circle all the way around Hope.

"What is this?" asked Klaus in a deadly voice when the plopping sound of bird bodies falling to the ground stopped.

Vincent and Beatrix shared a concerned look. "I don't know," Vincent admitted.

Hope looked a bit confused, but not because of the birds. "Mom?" she murmured. "Can you hear that? It's... whispers. Saying a name. Over and over..." she looked at Hayley as she put her hands on her shoulders. "Kre Nah Han. Kre Nah Han."

At this, Vincent and Beatrix looked at each other again. "No," whispered Beatrix. "I had only ever heard legends of that..."

"What is that?" Hayley asked, looking up, alarmed.

"It's a nearly forgotten dialect," answered Vincent gravely. "It's Creole. It means 'the Hollow.' The Hollow is coming." He looked up at Beatrix. "You and I need to talk."

"I'll take Hope to lay down somewhere," said Hayley, scooping her up. The little girl looked tired, and still a bit dazed.

Beatrix released Elijah's arm and followed after Vincent, who led her into one of the other rooms. Not exactly private, since the other three could easily hear them. Silently, Beatrix wove her hand and put up a spell to block out any prying ears.