Chapter 61

Vincent immediately began the spell to cleanse her.

"Lay her down," he told Elijah, who pulled her body down. Vincent put one hand on her forehead before beginning to chant, ""Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a."

Beatrix let out a loud gasp as she sat back up. "Why the hell does this keep happening to her?" demanded Elijah as he pulled her back to a chair.

"Besides your niece, she's one of the most powerful witches to be born here in New Orleans," Vincent said, handing Beatrix some bourbon to drink. "Her magic is strong on this soil and it makes her the perfect target. The problem is that after all this time, Beatrix's body is affected more easily by dark magic."

"What can we do, then?" asked Elijah. "How do we keep it from affecting her?"

Beatrix waved him off, casting Vincent a look. "Let's talk about this later. Will is going to get a headstart. We need to beat him."

"You're right," Vincent said helpfully. "We can track where he's been before and where he's headed now. Beat him there."

The Heretic reached out, withdrawing a very old map of New Orleans. "This is from the early 1900s but it should still be good. The general area is still the same."

Vincent took the map and went to lay it on the bar. "Are you certain you feel well?" asked Elijah, kneeling in front of her. "You still look pale."

"I'm fine," she said casually. "Perfectly fine."

"We should ask Freya about any spells to shield—"

She interrupted him immediately. "I'm fine. I was able to pull something that I've vanished, so that should let you know I'm fine. That realm is something I can only access when I am strong. So obviously, I'm alright."

"But Itza—"

"Seriously, Elijah, I'm perfectly okay," she insisted, getting to her feet. She did indeed feel fine, but she still wanted to avoid any conversation that might clue him into her proposition of sacrificing herself in the future, if it came down to that.

"I have a read on the location," said Vincent loudly, coming back over with the map. "In the woods— I know which trail we can take. This right here is the spot where it ends..." he beckoned to a clearing in the Bayou. "The others can meet us there."

Elijah nodded and brought out his phone to text Klaus and Hayley. "Let us not waste time, then," he said once he'd notified the other two. "I can take us all there as quickly as necessary."

Vincent didn't seem to be thrilled with the idea, but he and Beatrix held onto Elijah's arms, and the Original sped them to the clearing. They had to walk only a short distance before finding a shape hanging from the trees. It was several wooden sticks tied together with cloth, sort of like a dreamcatcher, but the budget version. Beatrix could sense the dark aura around it. They were in the right place.

"I assume you told everybody to be on their best behavior?" asked Vincent expectantly as they looked toward the depths of the woods.

"Oh, I told them," said Elijah, looking around for the others.. "Now whether or not they'll be obedient is another thing altogether."

They had to wait only about a minute before Klaus strode up.

"Where's Hope?" asked Beatrix.

"Freya's with her now," said Klaus. "She's fighting it. Whatever it is."

Vincent gave him a reassuring look. "The kids are attached to that spell: if we save the kids, we save your little girl."

"And the sooner you all can be on your way," came the familiar voice of Marcel as he and Hayley came in through the other side of woods in the Bayou.