Chapter 52

Beatrix found Kol in St. Anne's Church.

"I had a feeling you'd be here," she mumbled, finding him seated on Davina's bed.

He half-smiled. "Yeah..." he wiped some blood of his lip. "I thought I'd find solace here. I killed Van Nguyen."

"As you should," said Beatrix, coming to sit beside him. She leaned her head on his shoulder. "I'm leaving. I can't do this anymore. I'm going to go out of state for Medical School and just never come back."

"I'll go with you," he muttered. "In between, we can travel and research how to bring Davina back."

She nodded. "Yeah, I'm good with that..."

"I er— came back to the Compound briefly, just after killing Van. Heard a bit of your argument with my brothers. I... I know I didn't meet Kai but he sounded like a good man. I don't think I ever told you how sorry I am that you lost him."

She sighed and patted his back. "It's alright, Kol. I'll recover fully, eventually."

"How could you ever recover?" he mumbled. "When... when the person is everything you wanted?"

She bit her lip. "Well, my experiences with Kai are not the same as yours with Davina. Deep down, he wasn't the bed person and he knew that, and together, we were volatile and cruel and I didn't think to stop him. Davina was an angel and it's going to hurt so, so much to think that she's not here anymore. But we'll find a way, I know that we will."

He took her hand and squeezed it. "Once again, you're the only one who even notices me. The only one who tries to help me through what I feel. I can't believe Elijah would blatantly disregard her life that way. Or that Nik would be so supportive of it, either."

Neither of them was able to sleep. Instead, they talked. Kol went on a rant about the Ancestors and his siblings and methods to bring Davina back. Beatrix ranted about Elijah and Klaus and her plans for the future, which did not include either brother. By daylight, they were exhausted but did not feel as though a peaceful sleep would greet them. So they put on some clothes Beatrix had vanished years ago, and went to the Lafayette Cemetery, where Vincent had already buried Davina, marking her name on a tomb.

The memorial felt terrible. For one, besides her and Kol, the only ones in attendance were Marcel, Josh, and Vincent. Cami's wake was the same day and basically all of New Orleans was participating in that, since it was to be an entire party at Rousseau's.

Vincent had begun speaking first. "Say not in grief that she is no more, but be thankful that she ever was and though she was taken far too soon, may her enduring light show us a way through this darkness. Let us mourn as we cannot move on until we do. And though the pain may at times seem like more than we can bare, make no mistake, we will move on. And even now, the words of Ecclesiasticus are ringing in my ears, they're saying vengeance as a lion shall lie in wait for them."

Josh stepped forward next. "A while ago... forever ago, I told Davina a story about my first boyfriend but what I didn't tell her was that I had never shared that story with anyone else. She was like a sister and a best friend and I loved her. I wish th... uh..." he shook his head, unable to continue, and stepped back.

Kol had clearly wanted to step forward, but he couldn't manage it. "I'm sorry, I can't."

Beatrix patted his back and took his place instead. "How can any phrase quantify the impact that one person made? When I arrived here and met Davina I was happily surprised. I saw a strong young woman who was resilient and who was powerful in so many ways. She was determined and kind, and it's unfair that we have to stand here without her."