Chapter 47

"So this may only be a fraction of our potential enemies," said Elijah once he and Klaus had returned.

Klaus chuckled. "In hindsight, we could've been nicer to people. Or at least left fewer survivors."

Beatrix snorted. "Mostly you could've been nicer to people..."

"We don't know all their motivations," he replied. "Half of these people could want to put the bullet in Elijah's heart! End the sire war with the pull of a trigger."

Elijah was unfazed. "I have an army devoted to keeping me alive. The only people that care to protect you are standing in this very room. As you well know, Niklaus, there is another way."

Klaus sighed, and Freya frowned. "You're going to run?"

"There was a time when the name Klaus Mikaelson was little more than a rumor," he answered. "A shadowy figure who cast fear into the very bones of any who heard whisper of him. I don't run, sister. I disappear. And tonight, the four of you are going to make that possible." He held up a burlap sack with blood over it, appearing to be holding a head.

"I will get that to Marcellus," said Elijah, taking it from him.

"We can get started on a spell," Kol offered. "Come on, you two."

He led Freya and Beatrix over to the courtyard, and opened a container next to the chair he sat in, extracting a blood bag. He started drinking from it, and pulled out some other materials he'd had in a bag that'd been hanging over his shoulder. "We can do a spell that will make him untraceable, in a sense. If anyone tries to locate him, it will show he is here, in New Orleans, but in the meantime, he can disappear elsewhere."

"I like that idea," said Beatrix. "What should we do, then?"

He held out a chalice. "We'll just get Nik to bleed into that. Add some oleander and spotted owl feather, I'll give you the incantation, and we'll be good."

"Impressive," said Freya. "You created this spell?"

"Well, there's no witchcraft on this planet that I haven't studied," said Kol. "I solidified it the best way I could— teaching. Beatrix here is a diligent little pupil." He looked over at his sister. "You and I met a century ago, didn't we? You were the only witch in town I couldn't charm into doing my bidding. Beatrix was the one that told me to back down and stop trying so we wouldn't bother you. Honestly, I just figured you fancied the ladies."

Freya blushed and rolled her eyes, though she cast a sideways look at Beatrix. "Oh, because that's the only reason a woman wouldn't swoon for you?"

Kol shrugged. "Well, either that, or you're my long-lost, not-so-dead older sister."

Freya patted his hand. "I'm glad you're back. You should know, Rebekah kept her promise to fight for you... before the curse. And of course, Davina never gave up on you."

Kol paused a bit, as if only just remembering he'd promised Davina a date that night. "She did right by me, didn't she?"

"Yes, she did," said Beatrix.

"And I have to do right by her," he continued. "You mind if I write the spell down? Should be easy enough to figure out. There's somewhere I ought to be."

"I'm happy for him," mused Freya to Beatrix once he'd left the parchment behind with the spell. The two women made their way up to Freya's personal little study. "I experimented the other day, you know. A little."

"Did you?" said the Heretic with a smile. "And how was it?"

"Well, one thing's for sure, I definitely fancy women. Probably more than I fancy men."