december 11.

———  0011. d e c e m b e r  1 1

my future

Being back in Bryn’s apartment in Reykjavik was calming and disturbing at the same time. Tomten took my previous spot on the couch so… I had to sleep with Bryn in her bed. I felt like a child, I was so awkward and scared. 

Lucky me, nothing embarrassing had happened. And by embarrassing, I mean no accidental cuddling or spooning had happened while we were sleeping. I woke up in the same position I fell asleep in, feeling completely stiff. Bryn was a morning owl - although you wouldn’t guess -, so she was already awake, making coffee in the kitchen. 

I walked out of her bedroom, brushing my auburn hair with shaky fingers. Then… I saw her. She was dancing to whatever song came from the radio, and she was only wearing an oversize t-shirt that she used as pyjamas with old shorts. But her usual shorts were gone. I gulped as I looked around my shoulder. Tomten was nowhere to be found. 

Thank Santa!

“Good morning!” I managed to press out of myself some words, felt my cheeks blushing as Bryn jumped when she heard my voice from the door and looked back at me. 

“Hey! Good morning!” she just smiled, she didn’t care that half of her bum is practically visible (as she didn’t wear any underwear) and she couldn’t care less that I’m seeing her practically naked body. 

Okay, she was wearing a shirt. But… it was a completely sheer, white shirt. Left nothing for imagination. As it was… morning… and rather… cold. 

I gulped again. Help me, Santa! She is killing me! Does she know she’s killing me?! She must know, she knows I’m attracted to females too! She must know!

I never felt that kind of heat before. Not with Gertrude or anyone else. I lived for a half millennia… but this… warmth… caught my surprise, swept me off my feet, weakened my legs, painted pink brushes on my face… 

I was falling for her. Falling hard and deep. 

The realization hit me like a shovel on the back of my head. I never knew what does it feel like to fall in love with someone. Especially with someone who was not even the same species as I was. She was the embodiment of forbidden fruit. I was a Christmas Elf, Santa's right-hand man. She was a girl from the Naughty List. 

Doomed connection. 

And I didn't even know if she likes girls or not. 

I never felt like this before. How could I? I've only spent a week with Gertrude every year since I was 200 years old. A week per year is not enough for falling in love with someone. 

So I thought. Because I only knew Bryn for a week too. 

"Aren't you… Cold?" I asked finally, choking on my own tongue. Santa sees my soul, I tried really hard not to stare at her. At her beautiful, long legs. Her waist that was being outlined by the thin T-shirt. Her hard nipples. Her lips that she chewed on.