december 01.

—— 0001. d e c e m b e r   01

candy cane lane

CHRISTMAS ELF RULES 101:

WE'LL WELCOME DECEMBER
WITH TIRELESS HOPE

“Rise and shine, Álfaþorp! Today is the first of December, which means…  we finally reached the final twenty-four days of our sweet countdown til Christmas Eve! This is the absolute best time of the year to be an elf here, in Northern Iceland! May I please ask all of our lovely morning shifters to change to their work outfits, and thank you all of you, who worked on this freezy night! Time to rest for you, elves! Have a nice shift all of you, in our factory! And don’t ever forget, there is no happier day than today, so make the most out of it! And now, on to the important news of the day. The daily update of the naughty list... ” 

Other elves found the morning notifications insanely annoying. And tiring. It was the first thing we had to hear every single morning. It was like a special little radio in all of our houses, helped us to wake up and this is how we all got to know all about the day’s special programs and full schedule. 

When the last rays of the evening sun meet the Northern Lights, the wind is from the North and the stars are shining… that’s when elves are born. And Christmas elves are the rarest form of all elves. That’s why the circumstances of our birth are so magical. I, Arnþrúður Glyrandottir, was also born on one of these special nights… a long time ago. 

Don’t worry, almost everyone calls me Ash, no need to remember my full name!

Centuries ago, every elf was a toymaker, for Santa himself. But now… the toymaker is a special revered guild of elves. Not every elf can be a toymaker, although every elf dreams of someday getting to work in Santa’s Toy Shop. 

That’s where I work, at the Icelandic Headquarters specifically, in Northern Iceland, in the Land of Nobody and Eternal Night. 

I've spent all my long life here, the most wonderful place on Earth. At least for me.

I was already up and dressed when the morning alarm went off. I adjusted my deep green coat one last time, for the sake of perfection, then left my home. The frosty air hit me and crawled through my striped stockings, the wind caught the deep red-ish hair out of my face as I made my way through the Central Square. 

Many of you could ask, how many elves are there in the whole wide world? That’s something no one knows exactly. Elves are such fast little beings, and we are rarely ever all in the same place at the same time, so it’s most difficult to count us. Some of us wander in the Nordic most time of the year, gaining data of our children, and there are special elf agents who research and check all of our factories around the world. And rest assured, there will never be a shortage of elves as long as sun rays can reach the Northern Lights.