december 08.

———— 0008. d e c e m b e r   0 8.

my favourite things

Seydisfjörður is a town of around 668 people in East Iceland, sitting at the inner corner of a fjord of the same name

Seydisfjörður is a town of around 668 people in East Iceland, sitting at the inner corner of a fjord of the same name. The main economy of Seydisfjörður has primarily been the fishing industry throughout its history, but it has seen increased tourism in recent years. The town has a sizeable harbour, and the ferry Norræna is operated from here, sailing over to Scandinavia.

In that 668 inhabitans… there were Bryn's grandparents. 

And their family Tomten they didn't even know existed. Tomtens had a way of hiding themselves from the humans. This is why they could be able to live in their barns for… For a whole eternity, if they chose to. 

"What do you know about this Tomten guy?" Bryn asked. We've reached Seydisfjörður just in time for sunrise. Bryn drove for nine hours from Reykjavík in two stage. It was hard but she didn't complain. Not even for a second. 

"Nothing, basically. I've never met a Tomten." I shook my head sadly. I didn't know everything. Not by far. And it hurt me, because I knew she counts on me. 

"Then… Welcome to the sweet ignorance of humanity, Ash! Now you know what the humans feel like." she patted my shoulder with one hand as she turned right around the city centre. "Okay, now… Head's up! I've told my grandparents I'm coming over with my roommate. Who I've met at university. So… Just imagine that you are some average uni student, figure out yourself a major and… Drop some of that ancient phrases you use daily!"

"That's the way I talk!" I insisted as I chuckled. She nugged me constantly about my use of language. I picked up some 21st century slang, that's for sure. 

"Okay then… Say that Norse mythology and Edda studies is your major! That makes your language a little bit more believable!" she lifted her hand, showing me a tiny space between her thumb and index finger, representing a little bit. 

"I'm fine with that!" in my thoughts, I repeated the informations she gave me. Roommate, know each other from university, Norse studies, cut back on the ancient. 

And I thought that finding the Tomten would be the hardest part of our day. 

"Relax. My grandparents are cool!" she parked in front of beautiful, enormous, colorful house, close to the town church. I loved the vibe it radiated. Is this how Gen Z talk? 

She honked after she applied the handbreak. And her grandparents appeared at the front door a second later. They smiled. So kindly. Warmly. They've been waiting for Bryn. They've looked forward for her. 

"Brynhildr!" her grandmother exclaimed loudly and happily.

"Don't even say a thing!" Bryn slapped me on the arm, before I could actually say a thing. "They are the only ones who won't stop calling me Brynhildr!"