Chapter 15: Interhigh-Preliminaries (Finals)

Start from the beginning

   When the restroom was in your sight, a familiar figure exited the men's bathrooms. You stood in slight shock for a moment but decided to approach the person.  

   "Hey, Ushi," You greet Shiritorizawa's ace with a small smile. The boy looks in your direction. 

   "Oh, Hello F/n," Ushijima said. He took a good look at you and noticed your uniform. "So you decided to become Aoba Johsai's manager?" 

   Your eyes widen at his observation. You forgot to tell the Shiritorizawa guy's about your new position in the volleyball club. "Oh, yeah. Sorry, I forgot to tell you," You say, rubbing the back of your neck. A bead of sweat dripped down your face.     

   "It's ok. We will win today," The blunt boy stated with confidence. You give him a smirk. 

   "You think? I don't know, we're pretty strong," You say, trying to get to him. 

   "You're not as strong as us," Ushijima says with no expression. You let out a sigh and place your hands on your hips. 

   "You're no fun Ushi."

   "Hm, what do you mean?" Ushijima asks. You sigh yet again. 

   "I mean like this is supposed to be an intense moment where we fight about which team's better," You say matter-of-factly.   

   "So you want to fight?" Ushijima asks with a confused expression.

   "No... Nevermind...Idiot," You say turning away from the boy. 

   You begin to walk to the girl's bathroom, but before you do you look over your shoulder to the monster of a boy. 

   "We're going to win. Whether you like it or not," You say with a look of determination. 

   Ushijima smiles a bit at this. It had been a while since he saw that look on your face. It sent a chill down his spine and a fluter to his heart. 

~~~~

   The team was warming up. The match was to begin at any moment now. Both Seijoh and Shiritorizawa were on the court. This was going to be an amazing game. 

   The tension in that gym was intense. Shiritorzawa was determined to keep their title as champions and Aoba Johsai was determined to go to Nationals for the first time. 

   And just like that, the game began. It was a close game. 

   Ushijima's spike was just as killer as you remember. He smashed straight through Saijoh's block. Receiving his spikes was difficult as well. Because he's left-handed, the rotation on the ball is different from what your team's used to. 

   Watari received Tendou's serve and sent it to Oikawa. Iwaizumi began to approach the net for a spike. Oikawa jumped up and tipped that ball over the net. Right before the ball touched the ground Yamagata saved it. Shirabu jumped up and set it to Ushijima. Ushijima made a flawless approach to the net and jumped with the perfect timing. It looked as though he was floating. Memories started playing through your mind. All the times you've seen the boy spike. It was nothing short of godlike. Ushijima hit the ball with his maximum power and broke straight through Seijoh's triple block. Oikawa saw exactly where the ball was going to land and placed his arms between the ball and the floor. It looked like a perfect receive. He had perfect form, but it wasn't enough. The ball hit his arms but it didn't go up. It flew straight past the brown-haired boy and hit the floor. 

   That was set point for Shiritorizawa. The score was 22-25. 

   The boys came off the court looking crushed. Like they already lost. You couldn't blame them. The third-years have lost every game against Shiritorizawa up until this point. Still, that destroyed look on their face pissed you off.