chapter 8: tell me a story

"Hey

"Hey. Everyone?" Maggie called out as she entered the barn. Eloise, who was slumped against one of the wooden pillars, slightly lifted her head up and watched as Maggie walked in with Sasha and a man she didn't recognize.

"This is Aaron."

Eloise slowly reached for her knife as everyone else was practically ready to shoot the man on spot.

"We met him outside. He's by himself. We took his weapons and we took his gear." Maggie said as Daryl walked up to the man, patting him down before nodding his head once he knew Aaron was clear.

"Hi. It's nice to meet you." Aaron said as he went to step closer to Rick. Everyone put their weapons up higher making Aaron stop as Rick quickly handed Judith to Carl.

"You said he had a weapon on him." Rick said and Maggie nodded, handing him a small gun before he turned to Aaron again. "There something you need?"

"He said he has a camp nearby. He wants us to audition for membership." Sasha said, obviously annoyed as Eloise tried to cough back her chuckle. Tara quickly shoved Lou's shoulder and she finally composed herself.

"Audition makes it sound like we're some kind of dance troupe. That's only on Friday nights."

Eloise quickly tried to bite back her smile but it kept growing as she leaned over to Carl. "Is he serious?" Carl shook his head, an aggravated sigh coming out of his mouth. "God, I hope not."

Aaron, realizing Eloise was the only one liking his jokes, he shook his head and turned to Daryl. "Um. It's not a camp. It's a community. I think you all would be valuable additions. But it's not my call. My job is to convince you all to follow me back home." Aaron explained.

"I know. If I were you, I wouldn't go either. Not until I knew exactly what I was getting into." He said once he realized still no one believed him.

"Sasha, can you hand Rick my pack? Front pocket, there's an envelope." Sasha slowly handed to bag to Rick as he searched for the envelope. "There's no way I could convince you to come with me just by talking about our community. That's why I brought those. I apologize in advance for the picture quality. We just found an old camera store last-" "Nobody gives a shit." Daryl quickly interrupted, growing annoyed with the man.

Eloise looked over Rick's shoulder, looking at a picture of what looked like huge gates. "That's the first picture I wanted to show you. Because nothing I say about our community will matter unless you know you'll be safe. If you join us, you will be."

"This walls are huge." Carl let out in awe as he leaned over to look at the photos with Eloise. Rick, hearing the two, looked up at the and handed off half the pills to the two.

They quickly leaned in closer to each other, flipping through all the photos of a town. It has huge walls to keep away walkers, a pond filled with water and nice two story houses that you can only really picture in movies. Eloise turned to Tara, confusion taken over her face as she gestured the photos to the woman. How could this place still be around?