chapter 43: babysitting

"This is not your lot

"This is not your lot. You will stay inside, young Henry, with the others till it's done." Eloise heard King Ezekiel say from across the room. She turned her head slightly and saw a small boy standing in front of the King and Carol, a small pout on his lips.

"But I need to help. I need to fight." The boy demanded, making Carol shake her head. "No. You do not. You need to stay inside and guard this place. You will live and help others do the same."

"Carol. You know I can help." Henry groaned as Eloise went to walk passed them, looking for her bag on the ground. Carol sighed, looking down at the boy. "Henry, if you go out there during the attack, you'll die."

Lou's eyes widened, looking at Carol with a shocked look. Carol, feeling eyes on her, turned to Eloise and instantly smiled, grabbing Lou's arm and pulling her into a side hug. Eloise instantly knew it was an act. Carol gave her a big smile as she rubbed her shoulder. "Lou. You remember Henry, right?"

Eloise looked to the little boy and shook her head. "I don't think we even met. Eloise." The little boy gave a small smile, shaking her hand. "Henry."

Carol grabbed Lou's shoulders, shaking her slightly. "Lou, you'll watch Henry, right?"

Eloise immediately opened her mouth to object but Carol was already starting to walk away. "Great! Make sure he doesn't do anything stupid." Carol quickly said before bolting out of the house with King Ezekiel.

"This is stupid." Henry mumbled, making Eloise let out a dry chuckle, crossing her arms. "How do you think I feel? I just got put on babysitting duty."

...

Once it grew dark, Henry still stuck by Lou's side but not because he had to. He grew interested in the girl who sat beside him, twirling her pocketknife in her hand out of stress. He had just met her and he was already looking up to her.

A body fell onto the couch on the other side of Eloise as a arm draped around her shoulder. Eloise unconsciously leaned closer to Carl as he chuckled, looking down at her. "I heard you're on babysitting duty by the King."

Eloise kept her eyes on her knife, nodding her head as she laughed, making Henry let out a childish whine. "She's not babysitting. I'm not a baby!"

"You're complaining like one." Eloise muttered, making Henry bump her shoulder with his, mumbling a small 'shut up', making Eloise and Carl laugh.

Loud gunfire rang from outside of the house, making Henry jump slightly, scooting closer to Eloise who quickly pulled him into her side.

"I know I'm babysitting but why aren't you out there fighting?" Eloise asked, slowly looking up at Carl.

"I didn't know the fight was starting this soon." Carl mumbled as the doors of the building flew open.

"Let's go. Go. Inside! Get inside!" Dianne screamed, running into the building after all the ex-saviors. The woman sighed as she turned her head, noticing Eloise and Carl sitting with Henry. Dianne rubbed her eyes, pointing at Henry. "I can watch him. You two go and fight."