chapter 20: a letter to remember

"It's not that hard to catch the ball" Carl taunted as he bounced the tennis ball to Eloise who dropped the ball again

"It's not that hard to catch the ball" Carl taunted as he bounced the tennis ball to Eloise who dropped the ball again. "I couldn't even catch a ball with one hand before I broke my hand. You think I could do it now?" Elise threw the ball back to Carl, letting the ball bounce against the ground before he could catch it.

"Carl!" Michonne screamed from the hallway. Carl dropped the ball in his lap, groaning. "What?" "Denise says it's PT. For both of us." Eloise called out.

"I can't hear you two. Come on out." Rick screamed and Carl groaned, grabbing Lou's good arm and helping her off the floor, he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and walked out of his room. "What? Denise says this is PT." Carl said at the same time as Rick, making Eloise hold back a laugh.

"You heard me." Carl groaned.

"It's time to change your bandage. And I need to borrow some toothpaste." Michonne said. "Okay, but I'm out of toothpaste and my wrapping stuff is at Lou's." Carl said, throwing the ball to Rick. "I have toothpaste. I'll have Jace drop some off." Eloise told Michonne who instantly gave her a grateful smile.

Eloise grabbed Carl's hand and walked out of the house and to hers.

After the wall fell, a lot of people didn't make it leaving houses open for the group considering there was about nine people a house. Carol, Daryl and Eloise got to keep the house they had always been in, Jace moving in as well.

The pair walked into the house where Carol was cooking lunch for Jace and Daryl was packing up for a run with Rick. "Hey Jace, can you drop off some toothpaste for Michonne?" Eloise asked as she dragged Carl towards the bathroom to change his wrap.

"Aren't you the one heading to the bathroom?" Jace asked, his mouth full of scrambled eggs and Eloise quickly opened the medicine cabinet, grabbing the tube of toothpaste before throwing it at him. Jace jumped at the object hitting him but caught it as it bounced off his face. He grumbled a few not so kind words as he tried to fit the rest of his breakfast into his mouth before walking out to Carl's house to give Michonne the toothpaste.

Eloise closed the bathroom door once Carl was in and searched for the wrapping materials. Once she found them, Carl was already sitting on his stool so Eloise could see his whole face.

The couple had a deal. Since Carl didn't like showing his eye without the bandage, Eloise would have to wrap his eye using only one of hers, closing the other. Carl waited until Eloise had one eye closed before taking off his bandage.

Eloise quickly bandage him up and once she was done, she opened her other eyes as Carl looked at her, smirking. "That was the longest wink I've ever seen." Eloise rolled her eyes, trying to hold back a smile until Carl brought his lips to hers. She slowly let the smile brighten on her face before pulling away from loss of breath. "How about we go outside the wall today?"

Carl smiled leaning closer to her face. "That. That is why I like you."

...

The two were walking hand in hand through the woods, Eloise sometimes letting go to twirl and dance around but her hand always ended up back in his. As she was spinning around, her eyes caught something shiny on the ground.