chapter 44: goddamn delight

"All right

"All right. We'll stick to this road, keep to the trees, we'll get there quicker. Plus, we can keep an eye on the road that way." Daryl said as he, Rick, Michonne, Eloise, Carl, Jasper and Maggie looked over at the map he was pointing at.

"Yeah, if they're planning anything, we'll see it." Maggie said and Eloise scrunched her face slightly, turning to Maggie. "You think you can trust Gregory? What he told us?"

Maggie turned to her and nodded. "I locked him up inside the house. He knew I wouldn't let him walk around free. He knew he was coming back to that. He doesn't believe in anything except himself, and he'd have to believe in the Saviors a whole lot to send us into a trap and think it would work out for him."

"Unless Dwight didn't tell him. That asshole could be setting us up." Daryl grumbled, making the group sigh as they all split up.

The sound of a small groan and Morgan yelling made everyone look up. Everyone's eyes went wide at Morgan pointing his stick at Henry who laid on the ground. Eloise and Carl ran over to the pair. Eloise grabbed Henry's hand and pulled him up as Morgan looked at him in shock.

"They were gone... him. They were coming in." Morgan tried to explain before Alden took a step further into Hilltop, pointing to Maggie. "I asked Maggie if we could clear the walkers from the wall. We... drew them away so we wouldn't have to worry about 'em when we rolled out."

"He did." Maggie said, nodding her head to Morgan who sighed, walking away. Rick cleared his throat, gaining everybody's attention. "Let's keep gettin' ready, everyone. First team's going in 20."

Alden and the other ex-Saviors went to walk in farther but Maggie stuck her hand out, stopping him. "He said when we roll out. You and your people aren't coming. You can be here. But you're not us." Alden sighed slightly at her words, nodding. "As long as we got that straight." He mumbled as everyone started walking away

Maggie went to walk away and Eloise frowned, turning to him. "They'll warm up to you guys. Just need time." Alden sent her a small smile, nodding his head as Eloise walked away.

...

"Oh, Jeez." Eloise whispered, looking off the mountains edge at the herd of walkers coming towards them. "Holy damn. You ever seen one that big?" Jerry asked and Carl shook his head. "No. Things are changing."

"Let's go." Rick said, making the group start walking again. "How much further?" Jasper asked, making Eloise chuckle. "Are we there yet?" Jasper scoffed at her words, smacking the back of her head, making her chuckle as King Ezekiel nodded. "We grow closer. Yonder, over the ridge."

Lou's brows furrowed, turning to Carl. "Yonder?" Eloise whispered, confused by the word. Carl chuckled, scrunching his face. "Ridge?"

The Saviors whistle rang through the air, coming from all directions. The sound of feedback shook through the trees before Negan started speaking. "Well, damn, Rick, look at that. Pegged again. Pegged so very hard. I ambushed your ambush with an even bigger ambush."