chapter 16: tattletale

Eloise wasn't allowed a job at Alexandria

Eloise wasn't allowed a job at Alexandria. She was too young but when she was talking to Eugene and he had to leave really quickly, she was the only person around to stay at the gate. It had been a few minutes and so far, Eloise didn't have to do anything, she just casually paced back and forth, humming a tune as she skid her feet against the cement, no doubt ruining the bottom of her shoes when she heard a scream from the other side of the gate.

"Open the gate! Open the gate!"

Eloise ran to the gate, opening the first gate so she could see who was screaming.

Rick was running down the street, trying to great to Alexandria as quick as he could while hundreds of walkers trailed behind him.

"Lou! Open the gate!" Rick screamed as he pushed a walker away from him, making him topple over onto the ground. Without a second thought, Eloise started opening the gate, Michonne running up to help her and once Rick was in, he fell to the ground out of breath as the herd of walkers that followed him, pushed against the gate, wanting nothing more than to get in.

...

After Rick was freshened up, he walked out of his house and back towards the gates of Alexandria where now the whole town stood, listening to the walkers growl.

"You can hear it. Some of you saw it. They got back here, half of them. Still enough to surround us 20 deep. Look, i know you're scared. You haven't seen anything like this. You haven't been through anything like this. But we're safe for now." Rick said and Eloise could hear Carol sigh from beside her, rubbing her eyes.

"The panel the truck hit seems intact. We reinforced it just in case. Either way, the wall's gonna hold together. Can you? The others, they're gonna be back."

"They're gonna be back." Rosita reassured, making Eloise smile a bit.

"Daryl, Abraham, Sasha, they have vehicles. They're gonna lead 'em away, just like the others. And Glenn and Nicholas are gonna walk back through the front gate after. They know what they're doing, and we know what we need to do. We keep noise to a minimum. Pull our blinds at night. Even better, keep the lights out. We'll try to make this place as quiet as a graveyard, see if they move on."

"This place is a graveyard." A woman shot at Rick as one of the walkers banged on the walls, a loud clang shot through the air, startling Eloise. She jumped a bit, quickly composing herself but she was already spotted. Both Carl and Jace saw her, chuckling from across the group as Jace imitated her jump. Eloise flipped Jace off but Carol quickly grabbed her wrist, pulling it down.

"The quarry broke open and those walkers were heading this way. All of them. The plan that Rick put into place stopped that from happening. He got half of them away. I was out there recruiting with Daryl. I wanted to try to get into a cannery and scavenge, and Daryl wanted to keep looking for people. We did what I wanted... And we wound up in a trap set by those people. And I lost my pack. They must've followed our tracks. Those people who attacked us... They found their way back here because of me." Aaron spoke up, looking disappointed in himself at his own words.