chapter 6: meanie and the jerk

One thing Eloise hated worse than goodbyes was not getting one at all

One thing Eloise hated worse than goodbyes was not getting one at all. She hugged onto Tyreese's torso for as long as she could. He along with Rick, Sasha, Daryl, and the new kid, Noah, were all leaving to go get back Carol and Maggie's sister, Beth from a hospital run by police officers who wanted to "change the world", it's a bunch of bullshit if you ask Lou but if going there meant getting Carol and Beth back, she was okay with them leaving for their journey.

"We'll be right back, Lou." Tyreese reassuring said as he pulled away. Eloise nodded her head as Michonne came up behind her, putting a hand on the young girls shoulder to pull her back beside her.

Judith started crying in Michonne's arms. The woman placed the baby in her mini crib as Eloise and Carl lifted up a slab of wood to block the door.

Michonne came over, taking one side of the heavy piece of while Eloise took the middle and Carl had the end, nailing the piece into the door.

The loud banging made Judith cry even more. Eloise turned to Michonne who reluctantly nodded her head and Eloise let go, walking over to the baby and cradling her in her arms.

Eloise bounced the little baby around as she walked over to one of the windows that hadn't been boarded up yet and pointed out every piece of nature she could to the little girl.

...

Eloise watched Carl as he set up all of the weapons left for the four of them as Gabriel was determined to try and get all the blood stains out of the wooden floorboards. She cringed as the man scratched his nails into the flooring before he spit onto his sleeve and rubbed the fabric against the ground.

"Pick one." Carl said to the priest, gesturing to all the weapons. Gabriel only shook his head, not looking up from the bloody floor. Eloise silently groaned, crossing her arms over her chest. "You need to learn how to defend yourself. We can teach you."

Gabriel sighed, finally looking up at the two. "Defend myself? They said they'd go." Carl shook his head. "They were liars and murderers." "Just like us." Gabriel shot back to the boy in a dreamy voice.

Eloise instantly shook her head, disagreeing with the man as she stepped closer to him. "We protected ourselves. They wanted us dead. Your lucky this place has lasted this long."

"You can't stay in one place anymore. Not for too long. And once you're out there, you're gonna find trouble you can't hide from. And you need to know how to fight," Carl added and it was if something finally clicked in Gabriel's mind as he slowly reached for the machete in front of him.

"Good choice. But you're not holding it right." Eloise hummed as Carl nodded, agreeing with her. "You've got to be able to drive it down 'cause sometimes their skulls aren't as soft and you need to be able-"

"I don't think you're making him feel too good, Carl." Eloise whispered as she leaned closer to Carl, noticing the priests queasiness.

"She's right. I'm sorry. I- I need to lie down." Gabriel practically whimpered to them before slowly walking into the backroom of the church.