chapter 38: mother mother

Eloise woke up to the smell of smoke

She immediately shot up, worried something had happened. She ran down the stairs of her house with her hunting knife, still in her pajamas as the smell grew stronger.

When she reached the bottom of the stairs and could faintly hear Carl and Jace cursing, the sound of pots and pans clashing against each other.

Eloise turned down the last corner of the hallway and saw Carl and Jace at the stove, smoke coming out of a pot.

"What are you two doing?" Eloise breathed out, making the two boys' heads shot to her. "We uh... we were trying to make the spaghetti Negan made when he came over." Jace slowly said and Eloise turned to Carl who just shrugged. "It was good."

Eloise rolled her eyes, walking towards them. "And what's that burning smell?" Jace looked around, before his eyes went wide. "The sauce!"

Eloise chuckled, crossing her arms once she got to them and leaned against the island. "Do you need help?" Both boys immediately scoffed at her, shaking their heads. "Louie, as much as we love you, we can handle this." Carl said casually. Eloise and Jace's eyes went wide, immediately turning to each other.

"You heard that too, right?" Eloise whispered so just Jace could hear. The boy instantly nodded, his dropped jaw slowly turning into a smile. "Way to go, Ellie."

Eloise quickly turned to look back at him, glaring with her jaw clenched. Jace have gave the girl a cheeky smile, glad the nickname still pissed her off after so many years.

"Uh... Jace? A little help?" Carl called out, keeping his eyes on the pot of sauce. Jace jumped at Carl's loud voice, turning around to help him, leaving Eloise to watch them both struggle. She chuckled, rolling her eyes and walking towards the exit of her house. "I'm on watch duty! I'll be back later and please don't burn the house down!"

"No promises!" Carl and Jace screamed to her in sync, not looking up from the sauce.

...

"Be careful, please." Eloise whispered, patting the car that Rosita and Michonne were in. Rosita grabbed her hand, giving her a reassuring squeeze before letting go. "We'll be okay."

Eloise nodded, opening the gates for them to leave. She watched as Michonne quickly drove them away, her eyes staying on the car until she couldn't see it anymore, making her sigh and close the gate.

"Louie!" Carl called out. Eloise slowly turned around, watching as he and Jace walked towards her.

Carl quickly intertwined their hands and leaned down to her ear. "Were sneaking out. Come on." Lou's face scrunched, looking back and forth between Carl and Jace. "What?"