The World We Live In

Chapter 19

We dumped the remaining Guild Levels into creating maids and smaller scale NPCs. Even thought we thought of cloning for the sake of saving time, in the end we decided against it. They were going to become alive, we wanted to give each of them a real distinction and life; cloning them would not achieve that.

While each of the 50 maids looked different, just like Nazarick's, we tried to make them as beautiful was possible. This was one time we did ask our employees for their preference and help. 50 might seem like a small number in the grand scheme of things but creating 50 handmade lives are...a bit too much as we go.

We gave them a temple priest like clothing but with the traditional black&white typical Maid clothing mixed into it. In addition, we made the clothing 'fine' as in delicate and more fitting the body than typical maid uniforms (as in make them look slender). Just to have superiority over Nazarick, we gave each maid 3 Levels. One in race as a homunculus, and the other in Job Class as maid, and one unique job. Finding these jobs was quite harder than we thought it would be, still, I'm sure that they'll come in handy one day.

As a joke, we made Sengoku into the head butler of Society. He would be the counterpart of Sebas, and honestly, it fits him. We gave him back his kind expression and his seemingly 3 meter tall figure. We recreated him into the Sengoku we know and love...but while he would still complain and all, we made sure his loyalty is to us alone and no one else.

It was 8 years since the game was released. I was 13 years old, still short but huggable like always. Sis was 18, a legal adult. She still acted like a child though...wait, didn't we always?

The game died down in popularity as Soba Games released its next big game "Gaia". A game like Yggdrasil but based on Greek Mythology. Thanks to our cyber defense team, the other big companies still failed to compete against us. Since our company offered binding contracts to the more important employees, such as the people who coded to foundations of the game, they were not allowed to go to rival companies...so we were safe for now.

The World definitely got crazier. I've tried hard to ignore my surroundings but looking out for the first time with my eyes open...it was gruesome. Human lives was treated like those of cattle. The 8 Mega Corporations that rule the world (one of which is Soba Games) was no different from that of a dictatorship.

(Author: For those of you who want to know what the world is like, I recommend you read this:

)

Other than the boundaries of our city was a dead earth. Outside the first barrier that separates the rich and poor were dead bodies, people who have lost their will to live. Drug abuse was at an all time high as some brokers managed to sneak in drugs from outside. Many people simply chose to overdose themselves than to continue.

Truth be told, our city was better than most out there...judging that it was run by one of the 8 Mega Corporation, which means it can financially support people to a degree...but circumstances was only numbers and words in the end. People still died, people still starved, people, who were not us, were in despair.

This time, as a normal 13 year old and sis, a normal 18 year old felt so...powerless. Useless. In our previous lives, we shaped the very world to our liking. With our moral of "Ethical Justice" and "Justice Delayed is Justice Denied", we changed the course of the world for the better in a matter of years and kept it there until the Immortals arrived. But now...it was horrible. All we could do was watch the news and remind ourselves that this world will not last.

We learned what it meant to be a powerless bystander. How those without power cannot act upon their justice or will.

Me: Sis...