Chapter 11: At The Top Of The World

Song: Zina by Babylone

A/N: Hi guys! Just a small note, I am not Muslim and I'm not from Pakistan. I did a lot of research for this chapter but still, if I got anything wrong, please let me know, I will make changes. I don't want to offend anyone, I just want to represent more diversity <3

Before long, my walk turned into a hike, and I found myself at the top of a cliff that overlooked the city.

Feeling dizzy, I sat down at the edge to avoid accidentally falling over.

I took a deep breath and soaked in the astonishing city view. Tears started to streak down my face as I gazed at the pink and purple hues of the sunset.

It was my favourite place. Close enough  to the city to feel the comfort of home yet far enough into the wilderness to provide an escape from the burdens of everyday life.

I always come here when I need to be alone and just think.

But today, I didn't get a chance to work through my problems with Vance or what happened at work.

I froze when I heard soft sobs from the other side.

As beautiful as the view was from up top, the cliff was also a common place where people came to commit suicide. Me being who I am, I automatically assumed the worst.

Although it was not an easy hike up and city officials did put up a fence, it didn't stop those who were determined to end their lives.

So, I used my sleeve to wipe my tears and made my way to the person in the black hoodie.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked.

Startled, the boy jumped and whipped his head around to face me.

"Zaavan?"

It took me a minute but despite his oversized black hoodie and baggy black sweatpants, I managed to recognize him.

"Yousef?"

He quickly wiped his face and shot me a smile. "What are you doing here?" he nervously asked.

"Nothing, I just came here to think," I confessed. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, everything is great, I am fine," he replied quickly.

I hesitated for a minute but ultimately decided that I couldn't just leave him there. Not when Jason said that he's been acting strange and could possibly be taking drugs.

"Look Yousef," I started as I sat down beside him. Yousef uncomfortably shifted his weight. "I really just want to make sure that you're okay."

"I am, I promise," he insisted.

"I don't mean to pry but you don't look okay. Jason's really worried about you, man. What's going on?"

Realizing that I wasn't going to leave that easily, Yousef bit his lip and reluctantly answered.

"It's just...my cousin, Naila, she's getting married this summer and I can't be there for her wedding."

"Oh, that's too bad," I said, confused as to why that would upset him this much.

"She really means a lot to me. We're really close and to not be able to be there for her during a really important time in her life...It just makes me think about how unfair this world is. It's just too much sometimes."

"I'm sorry things are really tough for you right now," I tried, still very confused. I put a hand on Yousef's shoulder to try and comfort him, but the minute he felt my hand on him, he jumped.