08.

Rachel Hale hated a lot of things in life.

Her brother's new obsession, also known as Scott McCall, was quickly becoming one of them.

Whether it be his persistence, his inability to comprehend the extremely clear words "Stay away from Allison" the cute puppy eyes & shaggy hair that somehow managed to get him out of trouble. Rachel couldn't hate him for the last one, though, otherwise she'd be a hypocrite. She had a knack for batting her eyelashes & flipping her perfectly curled hair in order to avoid trouble.

Authority always had a soft spot for cuteness.

But Rachel didn't. She saw right through the boy's crooked smile. She saw the defiant, sixteen year old version of Derek Hale, and whether she'd admit it or not, she didn't want to see Scott end up like her brother.

Not that Derek was bad, he'd simply suffered too much. A person can only take so much before they eventually give up, and change for the worst. Rachel saw it in herself & in her brother; they weren't the leaders they used to be. They endured whatever was thrown at them, and they dealt with the aftermath.

Rachel didn't want to see her world destroy the life of yet another innocent teenager. That's why she made it her job to keep Scott & Stiles as far away from her problems as possible. Along with Lydia, Allison & even Jackson - despite her newfound hatred for the lacrosse player.

With that choice made, Rachel found herself avoiding Derek's tactics, and instead opting to spend more time in the company of her teenage friends. Even if it meant going against her brother, and following Scott & Stiles on their outrageous adventures - which had been the reason Scott was bitten in the first place.

What's the worst that could happen? Rachel couldn't be affected by the bite of an alpha, so that ship had sailed. She could end up dead, but at least she'd be reunited with Cora & her mother, so that wasn't all bad. No con outweighed the pros, so she decided to try it.

"Wha- he wants you to tap into your animal side and get angry?" Stiles gaped, staring at Scott in disbelief as the three walked down the hallway.

"Yeah." The teen wolf nodded.

"Is your brother sane?" Stiles glanced towards Rachel, who simply shrugged as the boy directed his attention back to Scott. "Alright, well, correct me if I'm wrong, but every time you do that, you try to kill someone, and that someone's usually me."

"I know." He sighed, staring down at the ground sadly. "That's what he means when he says he doesn't know if he can teach me. I have to be able to control it."

"Well, how's he gonna teach you to do that?" Stiles quizzed.

"I don't know. I don't think he does either." Scott answered. Rachel bit her lip, restraining herself from defending Derek. They were in uncharted territory; neither of them had ever taught a newly bitten beta to control themselves. It was a trial & error form of teaching. If one thing didn't work, they'd try another.

"Okay." Stiles spoke, going silent for a minute before speaking again. "When are you seeing him again?"

"He told me not to talk about it. Just act normal and get through the day." Scott stated, though it was far easier said than done. Rachel was already preparing the speech she'd give Derek once she got home. How could he expect a teenager turned werewolf to act as though nothing was out of the ordinary?

"When?" Stiles repeated.

"After work." Rachel informed, a small smile on her face. Both boys turned to her with looks of confusion, wondering how she'd know when she hadn't accompanied Derek either time. "What? He tells me things. I'm in the know."