019.

Everything felt like fire.

They say that when you're presented with a life or death situation, time seems to accelerate. It's almost a if someone pressed the fast-forward button, and everything turns to confusion. Clarity deteriorates until all that remains is a mess of colours, and the fine line between fantasy & reality is distorted beyond repair.

Your decisions become rushed, procrastination sets in & your ability to think logically goes up in flames, alongside your sense of calm & serenity. You start to lose focus, becoming almost hypnotized by the beautiful disaster of what was once your life. A small fragment of sanity may slip through from time to time, causing you to ultimately question the legitimacy of the scene before you, but it's brushed away with ease. Your eyes wouldn't fool you, would they? All you've ever relied on in life is the vision you eyes give you. If that were suddenly proven to be nothing more than a creation of your own conscious mind as a way to cope with something far worse.

Like death, which little to your knowledge, could very well be creeping up behind you at this very moment. What would you do, then? If death really was right behind you, a sharp blade at hand, ready to end it all in one swift motion.

Then, paranoia sets in.

What if it is all just an illusion? What if death really is right behind you, and he'd merely waiting for you to turn around. A sinister smirk on his lips as he awaits the fear-stuck expression on your face, knowing the end is inescapable & painfully inevitable. Maybe you should look? Just to be safe, of course. He probably won't be there, anyways. You're overthinking the situation, turning a small issue into a huge overreaction.

But you aren't.

Don't bother running, because by the time you even flinch, you'll be half past dead. Already enveloped into a suffocating darkness, one that grips it's prisoners with such strength that chances of escape are unthinkable.

That's the thing about darkness. Once it gets you, it has you forever. No, not the "forever" referred to in cheesy vampire novels. Even once the world is destroyed & humanity is condemned to live in their own creation of damnation, you'll still be floating around in the sickening void if darkness, because it never lets go.

That's how Rachel felt.

As if the world was gone, and she became a prisoner of the darkness. Detached from the world & left to float endlessly through a void of nothing. Trapped with no sense of time, nor distance. She didn't know if it's been days, months or even weeks by the time she regained a sense of humanity. The awareness spread throughout, quickly alerting her that she was no longer lying still in a pile of glass.

Rachel couldn't open her eyes, no matter how hard she fought it felt as though they'd been stitched shut. She could still feel pieces of glass pierced into the skin of her palms, a faint burn that couldn't compare to the immense migraine in her forehead. A tight grip held her wrist, her lifeless body being dragged along a cold floor as her consciousness remained trapped in the confines of her mind.

The only thought she could form was that the unconscious corpse of her brother was more than likely being dragged alongside her. Distorted memories forbade her of forgetting how she'd ended up in her current situation. A psychopath of blood relation to her, the infamous alpha werewolf, Peter Hale. Even his name sounded like an atomic bomb threat in her mind.

Everything about him disgusted her. Particularly the fading childhood memories that stung tears in her eyes at even the smallest of thoughts. She understood nothing of his reasoning for the massacre he performed upon a town they once protected, nor did she want to. Fighting fire with fire only sets everyone ablaze, and if the scars he once bared weren't enough for him to know that; then he deserved everything to come.