CHAPTER 13: TESTED

Start from the beginning

"Okay. So ya'll ain't gone crack. Okay," Tharine says. I just shake my head.

 I just shake my head

Me and my sister. Oil and Vinegar like I said. But when Thomas's mother steps up to me after I hug a few folks and they all look me up and down cuz I'm rockin' all Gucci – with the big ass purse, matching heels and the fye ass dress. Just like a big sister would, Tharine bucks:

"Not today," Tharine jumps in front of me, and gets dead up in Miss Deidre's ol' ugly ass face. Ready.

"Whatchu got to say to my sister?" Tharine asks, and looks Miss Deidre up and down working her neck-

"Woo! Look how they ackin', just disgraceful!" some old lady says- I grab my sister by the arm and get back in front of her, ready to fight if this bitch swing on my big sister!

"Ya'll stop that!" "Calm down Deidre!"

"Why ya'll just now brangin' this baby over here to us?" Thomas's old auntie Cathy demands-

"You know Thomas loved you when you put him out. He did," Miss Deidre points at me crying-

"Naw nah! Nope, we not gone do this in here today! You know what happened. This ain't Thay fault and TJ got here soon enough. Come on here TJ. Come on out here witcha granddaddy. Give ya grandmama a hug," Thomas's daddy stands up and says, pulling my son to him. So it's my fault Thomas ran to a hoe instead of home when I put him out? Okay.

I just keep my mouth closed when Miss Deidre grabs my son, her grandbaby, to her chest. And she just hugs TJ tight as she can, and she goes to crying and rockin'. Just crying and holdin' him. And we all just back up and respect it...

And I stare at an old picture of me and Thomas. Framed on Miss Deidre's wall, along with a cluster of other family pics...

And I smile at some of the old, good memories, realizing that I'm so over it and so into Drew, that I don't feel shit about Thomas

And I smile at some of the old, good memories, realizing that I'm so over it and so into Drew, that I don't feel shit about Thomas. But pity. And I'm thankful he gave me my son...

"That bitch say one, fucking, word. And I'm rockin'," Fran tells me about Thomas's sister with her teeth clenched, eying Tracy down when we get over here by the food. Tracy doing her best to avoid us though.