6 | Haunting Memories

"Ooh! Careful, don't drop it."

"I won't, calm down. You act like I'm weak."

I giggled as I looked at Kamui Woods. He was helping me move a glass tank I bought for my new pet.

I carefully picked up the tank and placed it on the stand. It was wide and long, so it would hold it up. I had went fallen into a trap. It was a good trap, however.

I bought an axolotl.

A baby one.

And trust me when I say I loved it.

"Thank you, Kamui. I appreciate your help. I would've asked Hawks but he's at a meeting with the commission."

"It's not a problem. I am off today, but I do have to get going. I have a date later today." He said.

"Oh, tell Yuu I said hi, alright?" I giggled.

Kamui stuttered for a moment with a blush creeping across his face. "H-How could you have possibly known it was Yuu?"

I smiled. "You two requested each other as patrol partners. I see the way Yuu looks at you."

Kamui cleared his throat. "Well, I'd like to keep it a secret for now, if you don't mind."

"Of course. I hope you guys have fun."

"Thank you. I will give Yuu your greetings." Kamui left, closing the front door behind him. I smiled. Kamui was a good friend, along with Yuu and pretty much everyone else on the Publicity Team. Surprisingly enough, Hawks and I were growing closer. Despite how we started off, I think the road smoothed out for us. A good thing, too. I don't think I'd have been able to keep patrolling with him if I still hated him.

Hawks and I had grown close. And that's something that I could admit with a little bit of pride.

I heard a knock at the door. I went to open it.

"Well, speak of the devil." I giggled.

There he was, a tall, yet kind man. Hawks stood at my door with a small box in his hand. I invited him inside and he sat down.

"What's with the tank?" He asked as he sat down.

"I got a new pet." I smiled giddily. Hawks had me sit next to him. He handed me the box. "What's this?"

"Open it." He urged. "I think you'll like it."

I rolled my eyes playfully and opened the box. I noticed it was the kind of box jewelry comes in. Inside the box was a gold-chain necklace. The charm on it was a ruby gemstone encrusted with small glass beads.

My hand drew over my mouth as I gasped. I took out the necklace and looked at it closer.

"Turn it over." Hawks said.

I turned over the charm and noticed small words engraved on the back.

'To my closest friend'

Tears pricked my eyes and I hugged him around his neck. I sniffled. "Thank you. Thank you very much." I wiped a tear off my cheek as Hawks chuckled.

"When I had this made for you I didn't intend for you to cry, chick."

I looked at him with my still glossy eyes. "You had this made for me?"

"Yeah, why not?" He smiled.

"This must have cost a fortune!"

"Ah, c'mon, it wasn't that much." He chuckled. "It's just a little something to symbolize our friendship."