8 | Alleyways

"And since then I was known as Hawks and I wasn't allowed to tell anyone my name," Keigo said.

"Wow. That's a lot." I said. "You really went through all of that alone?"

He nodded.

"I'm sorry, Haw- I mean, Keigo." I held my arms out and he scooted closer to me. He wrapped his arms around me and buried his face in the crook of my neck.

"Thank you for listening, chick. It means a lot. And I feel like there was so much weight lifted off my chest."

I smiled, still hugging my friend. "Oh, of course. I couldn't imagine. I at least had Hizashi and Shota." I said. "But you know, that just proves just how strong you really are."

"It's been hard keeping secrets like that. But I felt like I could trust you." He looked at me. "Hear this. You cannot. Cannot. Tell anyone."

I nodded. "I know. You have my word." I held his hand. He looked at me with thankfulness. I smiled. "Well, you told me about you."

"Chick, you don't have t-."

"No, it's fine. I promise. To be honest I think it's time I started talking about my past."

"If you're comfortable with it. I'm listening."

I took a deep breath, ready to dig up the terrible memories that lay in the darkest corners of my mind.

"When I was seven, I lost my dad. He died in a freak accident at his work." I looked down at my lap. "His body was mangled up in a metal grinder."

Hawks stared at me, with a face that I could only describe as petrified.

"My mother went missing four years after my youngest brother was born." I continued looking down. "She hasn't been found and her case was called off, she was presumed dead."

Keigo opened his arms, and I gratefully accepted his hug, burying my face into his chest. "When I was seventeen, our house was set on fire by someone. They still don't know who did it. The house was grounded, and my youngest brother died."

I replayed the memories like VHS tapes over and over again. They haunted me. They hurt me. The crying of my mother, and the roaring of the fire. I wanted to push them away. I didn't want those memories anymore.

"I'm so sorry," Keigo said. He stroked my hair slowly. I squeezed him a little tighter and he pulled me further into his lap. His wings held me like a cradle as I cried softly into his chest.

I must be the luckiest person in the world. To have Keigo as my friend. He's so caring. A little dim at times, but he's so kind. He's comforting. Not to mention... Attractive.

"Hey, why don't we finish the movie? You can stay here for as long as you'd like." Keigo rubbed my back. I nuzzled into him. He chuckled.

"I'm tired." I squeaked, and Keigo smiled. He picked me up bridal style and carried me up the stairs to the bedroom loft. "Is the carrying me part necessary?"

He set me down after he pulled the covers back. "It really is." He smiled and booped my nose.

I stuck my tongue out at him. "You're sure? I don't mind sleeping on the couch."

"You're a guest." He said. "What kind of host would I be if I let you sleep on the couch?"

I giggled happily. "Okay." I pulled the covers up to my chest. He flipped off the lights as he went back downstairs to the second floor.

I sighed.

He's so good to me. He's such a good friend.

༺♡༻