Chapter 4

School starts off well. My math teacher is nice, and she doesn't make me stand at the front of the room to introduce myself. Is that something that only happens in movies? Probably. Thankfully, my previous school had already covered the chapter that the class is currently working on, so I already know how to do most of the math. What a relief!

I don't really talk to anyone in math, but that doesn't bother me anyways. I'm fine on my own. Who needs friends anyways, right? Haha...

Next is art class. I'm so excited that I have to stop myself from rushing down the hallway towards the art room like a complete idiot. When I get to the room, I select a seat at a table with one other girl. She looks nice enough. Lighter brown hair that's cut in a short bob. As she turns to face me, her hair shifts, and I notice some bright pink on the underside. I love it.

"Hi, I don't know you. Are you new? Well if you are, WELCOME to Art 3. Gosh, you have to be new...There's no way I wouldn't know who you are otherwise..." She blurts very quickly, ending with a contemplative look at me, tapping her chin with her forefinger.

"Yeah, I am new actually. My name's y/n, it's nice to meet you. I hope you don't mind that I'm sitting here." I say, glancing around at the other tables that are now filling up. If I'm taking someone else's spot, I'll feel bad. 

The girl gives me a slightly feral smile, and says, "Ohhh, don't worry about that, y/n. It's been a while since I got to have a table buddy, so this is amazing."

"Uh...Okay. Well, that's good I guess. What have you guys been workin--" I start.

"OH MY GOSH," the girl suddenly shrieks, "I totally forgot to introduce myself, how rude of me. My name is Saito Akari, it is so nice to meet you!"

At this point, I'm kind of regretting choosing this seat and realizing that there's probably a reason that Saito is sitting at a table alone. Before I can contemplate that any longer, the sensei walks in. He is a kind looking older man, and when he spots me, or rather my table, he wastes no time walking over. 

"Hello, you must be y/n! I'm so grateful you're in my class! I saw some of your work in the portfolio you sent, and I must say, talent like yours doesn't come around often."

I must look like a tomato because of how much I'm blushing. 

"T-thank you, sensei. That is very kind of you." I reply, ducking my head. 

He gives me a warm smile, and I already know that he's going to be one of my favorite teachers. He then looks at Saito and his smile dissolves. 

"Saito-san, I thought I told you that you have to finish out this term sitting by yourself?" 

Uh, what? Oh no, what have I gotten myself into and what has this girl done?

"Sensei, please, please, please let y/n sit with me! I promise I won't get distracted! I will totally get all my work done, please!"

The sensei looks back at me and asks, "Y/n, Saito-san over here had to be separated from everyone else because she happens to have a talent for distracting herself and others. It's up to you if you want to sit here, but I won't hesitate to move you if I see that work is not getting done."

I glance at Saito. She seems a bit wild, definitely not someone I would usually seek out as a companion, but there's something cool, something edgy, about her that I like. I'm sure I can handle her. 

"It's okay sensei, I think I would like to stay here," I say, seeing Saito's face immediately light up. 

The sensei nods and returns to the front of the room, but instead of instructing the class, he plops down in his chair and begins to sketch in a sketchbook. Looking around, I see that the class has begun on their own, everyone working on something.