Chapter 27

Waking up the next morning is an...experience for sure.

First, I notice how sore I am when I'm stretching my limbs out in bed. I cringe when I feel the pain stretch from my thighs to the muscles between my legs. As I try to ease some of the soreness out, the memories from last night replay over and over in my mind. I can't keep the little smile off my lips. The pain is worth it, that's for sure. 

I notice something else when I stand up to use the restroom and get ready for school. 

My eyes widen when I feel a whoosh of sorts down south...not so much a sound, but a feeling of something pouring out of me.  

"Oh, please no--" I say, quickly shuffling to the bathroom, trying to keep my thighs together. I plop down on the toilet and let out a long, strangled groan when I see my fears confirmed: my period has started. 

My underwear have been completely ruined in the time it took to shuffle run to the bathroom. It's a mess. I feel my mood, which was happy a second ago, plummet. Of course it had to be this morning. 

I get all cleaned up and prepare myself accordingly for my day at school. As I drag my feet to the kitchen for some breakfast, my cramps start as well. 

"AH, god," I moan, doubling over and clutching my stomach. I've always gotten terrible cramps. It feels like my uterus is trying to kill me every month. Sometimes I wish it just would already. 

I manage to make it to the kitchen and pull a note off the counter from my mom, reading it: "Hey Honey! I left for work, make sure you get some food for breakfast, there are leftovers in the fridge :) XOXO". I don't want leftovers though. I want something sweet, need something sweet right now. I pull open the freezer and survey my options. Groaning in relief, I spot some strawberry ice cream mochi. I take the box over to the couch with me and curl up on my side, unwrapping and popping one into my mouth. I'm trying to mentally make the pleasure of eating mochi overtake the absolute pain of my period. I'm not so sure it works.

I make no effort with my appearance today. No makeup, no accessories, and nothing to tame my hair. The only thing I do is pop some motrin. 

On the bus, I text Kuroo. 

Me: i feel like I'm dying

Kuroo: HUHH?? Tf happened to you??

Me: that time of the month :/

Kuroo: I guess I fucked you just in time then ;p

Me: literally stfu

Me: you're the worst

Me: i'm in so much pain and that's all you have to say

Kuroo: I wouldn't have minded a little blood either hehehehehe

Me: OMFG STOP IT

Kuroo: Okay, okay I'm sorry. 

Kuroo: I'm just kidding as well, I'm so sorry you're hurting right now

Kuroo: Did you take some motrin? 

Me: yeah but it still hurts :(

Kuroo: Do you want to know why?

Me: huh

Kuroo: Well, your body produces a substance that is sort of like a hormone called prostaglandins that actually help your muscular uterine walls to contract during your period, which aids with shedding the uterine lining but can also be painful :(