Chapter 17

Pulling myself out of bed on Monday is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do...Just kidding, but it does feel like there's a thick layer of fog over my mind and my body doesn't seem like it wants to obey my half-assed attempts to pull myself together. Mondays are the absolute fucking worst. 

I shuffle into the kitchen, eyes half closed, to grab some breakfast. I open the fridge and shovel the cold leftovers into my face. Yes, with my hands. 

"Whhhhaattttt is going on with you?" I hear from behind me. I nearly fling the bowl out of my hands when I hear my mother's voice. I didn't even hear her approach. Well, at least it did wake me up some.

"Gosh, you scared me. I'm just tired and hungry and I don't want to go to school," I grumble.

"Long night?" She asks, raising an eyebrow. Knowing that I'll get an earful if I tell her I was indeed up late on my phone, I opt for a lie.

"No, I just couldn't fall asleep. It's fine," I say, pulling the saran wrap back over the bowl I'm holding and setting it back in the fridge. Yeah, I couldn't fall asleep. I couldn't stop thinking and thinking and thinking about a certain dark-haired boy. I went on my phone to distract myself and it got late. 

"Make sure you're taking care of yourself, Y/n. Sleep is very important, you need to be getting enough every single night," She scolds. I wash my hands at the sink and roll my eyes since she can't see me. 

I want to tell her that she can't pick and choose when to care about me, but that's just mean. She loves me and she's been trying so hard. I feel a twinge of guilt in my gut. 

"Okay, thanks Mom. I'm going to go get ready for school, have a good day at work!" I say, and head to my room. She says goodbye and I hear the front door shut as I close my own door. 

I throw on a little makeup and call it a day. I look a little rough, clearly tired, but oh well. I finish getting ready, grab my bag, and head out the door. 

School is...as expected. It's as boring as ever, but I text Kuroo in between classes and it make the day better. Saito asks me what I'm smiling about as I'm texting him during art and I tell her about us.

"OH MY GOSH! Shiiiittt! Dude, this is crazy, like you don't even get it! Kuroo Tetsurou doesn't date, like, ever. Oh my gosh he must be absolutely insane for you. Good for you, wow, I'm impressed." She says loudly.

"Shhhhh!" I say, blushing furiously. "I never said we're dating! It just...seems to be headed that way. Don't go around telling people that!"

"I won't, pinky promise. But I'm telling you right now, when people hear about this, it's going to be the biggest news Nekoma has ever heard."

I feel some of the color drain from my face. "W-what?"

Seeing my face, Saito backtracks a little. "Okay, maybe not the biggest...That spot is still reserved for when a third-year found out her boyfriend was cheating on her with a teacher. BUT, people are still going to go crazy about this. Kuroo is basically a celebrity. Hot as one too."

There's a lot to unpack with what she just said, so I decide to stay on topic. "Is he really that popular? I know he partied a lot and everything but like...I guess I didn't realize how well-known he is."

Saito chuckles. "Yeah, girl, he is that popular. I mean, he's hot, we've established that. But he's also the captain of the volleyball team and a star player on it. He knows basically everyone through parties, and he also knows all nerds because he's somehow one of those too. I mean, he really has it all. Talk about a perfect life."

My mind flashes back to when he was telling me about his family...his brother. It hits me that while he's popular and loved and envied, his life isn't close to perfect. In fact, I don't think I envy his life at all. I'm not sure anyone actually knows about the shit going on in his life and in his mind other than me and Kenma. It warms my heart but also breaks it a little.