Chapter 20

My relaxation steadily declines as time passes and is replaced with pure stress and anxiety. Kuroo said he would pick me up at 7:00 for dinner and it is currently 6:30. 

I told myself that when I got home, I'd eat something, shower, pick out an outfit, do my makeup, and be ready to go with plenty of time left. Well....that did not happen. 

I pull another top out of my closet and throw it on my bed, adding to the growing pile. Nothing looks right and I don't know how to make a good impression. My mom is at work again so I can't even ask for her opinion and I don't know what to do. It's too hot for jeans but my jean shorts are all a little too short or a little too tight to feel comfortable wearing when I meet Kuroo's family for the first time. Obviously leggings and sweats are a no-go. My skirt and dress options are meager, but they may work. 

I trudge over to my closet and check out what I've got. One forest green shift dress with thin straps. It's flowy and cute. I've also got a black knee-length, tight, short-sleeved dress with a small slit in the side. I've never worn the black dress before. If I'm remembering correctly, my mom bought it at some designer store a few years ago and didn't like it, so it became mine. Strange, seeing as I don't ever wear dresses...

Well, green dress it is. 

I pull the soft material over my head and let out a breath. This will work. Plus, when I'm absolutely sweating buckets, I'll be able to get circulation in this dress. 

As I'm applying my makeup, I hear my doorbell ring. 

I curse to myself and grab my phone to check the time. "Holy fuck, how is it already 7:01??" I run out of my room and open the front door. 

There, Kuroo stands, looking like some dark-haired prince. He never fails to take my breath away, but tonight, he looks absolutely exquisite. While his hair is still a beautiful mess, he has swapped out his usual plain tshirt and shorts for a black button-down shirt and khakis. I suck in a quiet breath at the sight of him.

"Hey..." I say, looking at him

"Hey babe," he smiles, leaning down to give a quick kiss to my cheek. His lips are soft and warm again my skin. Before he pulls away, his lips brush my ear and he says, "You look absolutely beautiful."

I can't help my blush, but I grab his arm and lead him into my house. 

"I'm running behind, I'm so sorry. I couldn't find a single damn thing to wear. I've just got to put on some mascara, then I'm ready to go. You wait here, I'll be out in a sec." I drop his arm and leave him in the living room, making a beeline for my room.

"Wait, I wanna come with you! Don't leave me out here, what if I get bored?" He pouts, grabbing my arm and pulling me back to him. I wriggle against him, trying to get free.

"Stop it, stop it! I promise, it'll only be like two seconds. I know you have the attention span of a five-year-old, but just stay put, Kuroo," I'm trying to get away like my life depends on it at this point. Honestly, I just don't want him to see my room right now. The state that it's in is...concerning. Every inch of it is covered in clothes and I would rather him not see the mess.

As I turn away, he grabs both of my arms, pinning them against my back and pulling me back to him again. I feel the hard ridges of his stomach and his hips again my arms. He leans down to my ear, much like earlier.

"Something you don't want me to see in there, Y/n?" I hear the smile in his voice. 

Hmmm...How do I get out of this one?

Ah, got it.

I reach as much as I can with my restrained arms and brush my hands between his legs. I feel him flinch behind me and hear him draw a sharp breath. I rub a little harder and feel him shift his weight and loosen his grip on my arms. I smile triumphantly to myself. 

Sigh...men are such simple creatures.

As fast as I can, I twist out of his grip and make a mad dash to my room. I've never been a runner, but in that moment, I think I felt runner's high. I slam the door to my room and lock it. I plop down at my vanity table, determined to quickly apply my mascara so that we can get going. 

It only takes a few seconds, then I approach the door again. I listen to see if Kuroo is right outside. It doesn't sound like he is, so I brush my dress down, grab my purse, and head out.

Kuroo is lounging on the couch, texting someone when I get back to the living room. He looks up when I come in. 

"My, my, my, I didn't know that playing dirty wasn't against the rules. I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time, love."

I huff as I grab his arm and pull him off the couch, to the front door. "I had to do what did, obviously. You were never going to let me go."

He throws his head back laughing. "Yeah right! I know you just wanted to cop a little feel there," He says, wriggling his eyebrows at me. "You like what you felt?"

"Kuroo! Fuck, stop it! Oh my gosh..." I turn away, hurriedly pulling on my shoes. Honestly, I did like what I felt. I liked it a lot. I'm starting to think whoever created Kuroo spent a bit of extra time on his body's blueprint. 

Finally, we make it out to the car. It's already 7:20, but Kuroo assures me that his parents aren't on a tight time schedule. Tonight isn't really about the food, it's more about the people anyways. 

During the drive, Kuroo can't seem to keep his hands off me. We're quiet, but not in an uncomfortable or awkward way. We're just listening to music and he's slowly brushing his knuckles up my thigh with one hand while he drives with the other. My dress is slowly getting hiked farther and farther up, but his hands feel good and it's not like anyone can see inside the car anyways.

After about ten minutes on the road, we pull into Kuroo's driveway. My heart is pounding so loud that I'm sure he can hear it. 

"I'm so scared right now," I whisper, staring straight ahead at his house and pulling my dress back down to the proper length.

"Don't be," He says, grabbing my cheeks with his hands and turning my face so I'm facing him. He's only a few inches from me and his beautiful face is all I can see. "It's going to be awesome, I promise. My family is super chilled out and kindhearted, you could be the worst girlfriend in the world and they would still be nice and polite to you."

I laugh shakily, "Wow, that makes me feel a lot better. Now I won't be able to tell if they think I'm the worst girlfriend in the world."

"You're not the worst girlfriend in the world, believe me, and they'll be able to see that immediately. It's going to be amazing. Let's do this, I won't let go of you, don't worry." He grabs my hands and kisses them gently.

I take a deep breath, unlatch my seatbelt, and climb out of the car. 

Here we go!