Chapter 26

My mom and I end up having a fantastic night together. I think that our crying session earlier actually doubled as a bonding session because I feel so comfortable around her tonight. After we finish our episode of AOT, we end up just chatting. It's nice. 

"So when is Kuroo coming to pick you up?" She asks me, grabbing her phone and checking the time. 

I look at mine as well. "Hmmm...It looks like he'll be here in like ten minutes."

"Do you need to get ready or anything? I don't want to keep you if you have things to do before you leave--" She says, getting up and bringing our dinner plates to the kitchen sink. 

"Yeah, I guess it's not a bad idea to freshen up a little bit," I say, shrugging. "Thanks for tonight though, I actually had a lot of fun."

"Oh, no need to thank me, we always do anime dinner nights! Now shoo, go get ready!" She waves me off, but I can see her smiling as she scrubs our plates in the kitchen. 

I'm smiling too as I walk into my room and shut the door. I check myself out in the mirror, deciding whether or not to change outfits before I go. I have on sweatshorts and a big tshirt. It's comfy...not the most stylish...but I'm too lazy to change, I decide. Plus, it's just ice cream. I do walk over to my dresser and apply some more deodorant and perfume though. I checked the whether earlier and Kuroo was right, it's hot out there. My makeup from the school day looks a little busted after sleeping on it and crying with it on, it's fine. Kuroo surely won't care. 

I head back out into the living room in time to see headlights flash through our window as Kuroo's car pulls into the driveway. 

"He's here, Mom!" I call to the kitchen. 

"Alright, honey! Have fun, be safe!"

I hurry out the door, wanting, needing to see him. It's dark outside and I can't really see him in the car, but I hear the bass of music. I smile when I recognize the song he's playing as one that I recommended to him. I pull open the passenger door and hop inside. 

"Hey," I say, turning to face him.

"Hey, you," he says, smiling. "You look cute," he adds, gesturing to my comfy outfit. 

"Pshhh, don't lie," I say, breaking eye contact as a smile takes over my face. 

"I'm not," he says as he puts the car into reverse, and bends around, putting his arm on the back of my headrest as he backs out of the driveway. If I didn't care about distracting him, I would have grabbed his arm, traced the pronounced veins on it. It's harder than I thought to hold back. I'm in...some sort of mood tonight. 

We make it onto the road and he begins to berate me with questions about what happened with my mom when she figured out what happened. I patiently explain how it all went down. It's so easy to just be honest with him.

"No fucking way...You sure you're okay?" He asks, glancing around at me. I meet his hazel eyes, see his brows pulled together. 

"Yeah, I promise. My mom actually helped me so much earlier...I'm not really used to talking to her like that but it was...nice."

Kuroo reaches over and puts his hand on my thigh, brushing over it gently. "I'm glad...Not sure if it went better or worse than I expected, but you really do seem to be good now. You're actually sort of...hyper."

I snort. "Hyper? Pleeaasssee..." 

 "No seriously, you are!" He chuckles, running his hand up and down my thigh. I feel myself start to throb. Maybe 'hyper' isn't the right word for how I feel right now...