Chapter 18

In chemistry, I just about lose my mind. We are told that we will be starting a project with a partner. Basically, we have to work together to create a perfect chemical equation based on specific criteria that we're given. Honestly, I'm not really sure that any of that means, I'm just hoping that my partner is smart. Actually, I'm hoping that my partner is Kuroo. I know that odds of me getting partnered with him are low, but I'm still crossing my fingers. 

Our teachers begins listing off partners and I find myself holding my breath. "Mori and Hashimoto, Fukuda and Ono, Kuroo and Kojima..."

I let out my breath and feel disappointment. It's fine really, but this would've been a great excuse to hang out with Kuroo more. Oh well. Once the teacher finishes reading off partners, I realize that I wasn't listening after Kuroo and have no idea who my partner is.

"Okay everyone, please go find you partner, introduce yourselves, and I'll walk around and give each group your project criteria."

"Fuckkk..." I think, looking around worriedly. I decide the best course of action is just to wait it out and hope my partner comes up to me. 

Everyone gets up makes their way over to their partners, a lively hum of talking takes over the classroom. It's nice that everyone has already known each other for a few years. I don't have that luxury and I don't really know anyone that well. Well, other than Saito, Kuroo, and Kenma (maybe??). I see a girl with pretty chestnut hair make her way to Kuroo. I immediately notice how long and...slender her legs are. She's very pretty. I feel my blood heat a bit.

"Calm down, you psycho," I say to myself. "You cannot be jealous over this, come on, don't be stupid."

"Uh...What?" I hear from beside me. I quickly look up and see a guy whom I presume is my partner. He's just standing there looking kind of lost. 

"Oh shit, sorry, if you heard any of that, just ignore it," I say, a bit humiliated that he witnessed my weird dialogue with myself.

"Yeah...Um...So I guess I'm your partner, Y/n" He says, scratching the back of his head. I try so hard to remember his name, but I just can't. I know he's quiet and, much like me, tries to keep to himself during class. He tall and slender with slightly curly dark hair. Tie in perfect position and shirt creaseless in a way that Kuroo never seems to be able to manage. I smile a little to myself at that thought. 

"Yep. I'm so sorry, I'm awful at chemistry, so I'll try my best, but no guarantees that I'll be a great partner." Realizing how that sounds, I try again. "Sorry, not to say I'm not going to try or something, of course I will, but I'm just not a natural at this stuff."

He laughs slightly, "I was hoping that I'd be the one to say that line first. I'm awful at chem, so lord help us."

"Well shit," I say laughing. We're fucked.

The teacher comes over and gives us some criteria. My partner and I lean over my desk and squint at the paper the teacher gave us. There a...lot.

"Geez, what is a redox reaction again?" My partner asks, scratching his head.

"Haha, beats me!" I say, leaning back and my chair and letting out a big breath. 

"Umm good thing we have Google I guess?" He says, lifting an eyebrow at me. I swear this kid is on the same exact wavelength as me.

"Yeah Google is our third group member and probably the one who will be doing the most work," I say, earning a chuckle from him. 

"You're new this year right? Actually, I know you're new. I remember that intro you had when you first joined the class."