Chapter 1

Divorce.

Such a strange word. One that I never thought I would hear, being flung at one of my parents to the other. I never thought I would get used to the sound of doors being slammed, cries of anger and frustration, and seeing my mother's eyes swollen and red in the morning as she put on a fake smile for me.

Well, I guess life never really goes according to plan.

It all began a couple of months ago when my father started coming home late from work, or not even coming home at all. Being a surgeon at a busy hospital, this isn't that strange, but my mom, also being a doctor at a different hospital, began to see through the lies and excuses he would tell. I tried to block out the inevitable screaming when he would come back late by blaring music straight into my eardrums, but I did pick up on some things. 

"REALLY? You're telling me that the appendectomy took FOUR HOURS? Yeah right, Ken, I know that's a fucking lie."

[Appendectomies usually take only an hour to complete]

"Yuna texted me that she saw you leave the hospital three hours ago! How the hell do you explain that? And why are your clothes so damn wrinkly? I bet you smell like her too--ah! No, come here--you better fucking get over here you little--"

[Yuna is my mother's close friend who works at the same hospital as my father. She's also my mother's main informant]

[The wrinkly clothes are pretty self-explanitory...]

Weeks passed, with my mother continuously confronting my father and my father continuously trying to defend himself. It took a toll on them, but it also took a toll on me. I started to become distant from my friends at school and instead found quiet, peaceful areas, like parks or libraries, to listen to music and draw in my sketchbook. Basically, to block out the rest of the world. Art is my only real escape. 

It's not like I hate either of my parents either. I think that if I was younger, I would've broken down and despised them, but now I know that the world is cruel and that some people just aren't meant to be together. Yeah, I'm fucking pissed off at my father for breaking my mother's heart and her trust, but as much as I want to, I can't hate him. Maybe that makes me weak, but I just can't.

That being said, even if I can't hate him, I can't excuse the cheating. That's why, once the divorce was finalized, I decided to live with my mother. Plus, I don't think I could actually handle seeing my father's mystery woman if they began dating or something. 

My mother found a new job at a nice hospital in Tokyo, and immediately decided she wanted to live in Tokyo as a "fresh start". I don't blame her.

Even though I'm in my third year at school, I still don't mind moving. Maybe it's my parents' influence on me, but I can't bring myself to feel attachment to a place. To a broken home. To an average school. To an average life. 

I feel like I've lost my will to connect with people. I just can't bring myself to care. I'm the only one that is always going to be here for me anyways. I just don't care. 

This brings me to today. Moving day.

_______________________________________________________

I hope you all liked the first chapter! Not super exciting and not lots of dialogue yet, but it's necessary to build who *YOU* are. I think that we all struggle with things, and many of us have had hard times in our pasts, so maybe you can relate to y/n a little bit. Even if you can't, which is honestly a blessing, I just wanted to write about someone who isn't perfect and who struggles. SO many stories focus on people who just seem way too perfect, and we all know that's not how the world works. Even though y/n seems like a pretty dismal character right now, just hang on :) I promise you won't regret it. 

Thanks for reading chapter one!