Chapter 21 Part 2: The CLOSET

Emeline had spent most of the afternoon walking around Rosedale, revisiting the old parks of her childhood. She walked through the ravines until it was evening. She was making her way back home from the old Brickworks, an old brick-making factory that had been recently renovated. It was close to the highway leading out of the city from the Don Valley.

She walked back up through Mud Creek towards the house, where Terry had been abducted years earlier. She walked along the small creek, where a few local residents walked or jogged by with their dogs. She smiled at them pleasantly. It was getting darker, and there were fewer people around than before.

She passed under the first bridge: a smaller two-lane bridge tucked away in one of the more hidden parts of Rosedale.

Emeline was the only one who was old enough to remember their real father in the family, although they were scant details. She remembered his cold grey eyes. And she remembered the iron cross on his uniform when he had come home for several prolonged visits to Heidelberg during the war. She also remembered loud arguments during those visits, which had all resulted in her mother sobbing upstairs every night.

Sandra had never known her real father. She was born in Toronto just after the end of the war. Their mother Isabelle had left Heidelberg with one four-year old daughter and another daughter in her womb.

Sandra now blamed Emeline for keeping this secret from her for her entire life. The secret had only been brought to light when Sandra had stumbled upon the old photo album in the attic.

Emeline felt strongly that it was not going to bring happiness to anyone to bring up that part of their family history. Especially not for Rupert, who was half Jewish. She could not understand why Sandra was so upset at her. She had done everyone a favour by keeping the secret in the closet.

Emeline's mind wandered. She suddenly wondered where she was. She stopped and looked up and saw the back of the family house, perched above the steep hill of the Mud Creek ravine. The house seemed much larger and eerier from down here. She had never noticed it before. But it looked like a dark castle from an old German expressionist movie.

She walked closer, looking through the trees, which were in full bloom. It was hard to see through them. The house itself was dark and overgrown with vines. She was sure she could see a pink dress, and frizzy hair near the top of the house. Sitting on the ledge of the attic window!

"Sandra!" she gasped.

She caught a glimpse of her sister when the wind blew the trees for a moment. She could plainly see that Sandra was sitting in the window frame and her legs were dangling precariously over the edge.

"SANDRA!" she yelled. She was too far away to see if Sandra was hearing her or not. She started making her way up the incline of the ravine.

"SANDRA! BE CAREFUL!" She was having trouble climbing the steep, viny trail to the house. 'There was a time when she and Sandra used to run up and down this hill,' she thought. Her legs were having trouble now. Too many aches and pains. Pain shot through her knees.

She managed to get about half way up the hill when she looked up again. Now she could see that Sandra was hanging from the window by her hands, with her back to Emeline.

"SANDRA STOP!" Emeline screamed, and she scrambled with all of her strength to get out of the ravine.

* * *

The taxi dropped Rupert off in front of his building. He entered hesitantly. He felt rather embarrassed about the whole scene the other night. The security guard, Jason, buzzed him in.

"Wow you sure caused a commotion out there the other day," the young security guard said. He was a university student that Rupert had struck up a rapport with when entering and leaving the building.