Chapter 18 Part 2: The NAME

Rupert did not realize, at first, that he was inside a dream. He was in his old high school cafeteria. He had just heard that the Vice Principal, Mr. Lanson, had died of a heart attack. He had also been Rupert's math teacher. Rupert had always been a poor math student, and had been in Mr. Lanson's office many times for skipping school.

Rupert sat at a cafeteria table eating some fries and gravy. And yet for some reason, in this dream, Mr. Lanson was sitting directly across from Rupert at one of the long cafeteria tables. Rupert froze in fear. Mr. Lanson was a tall grey haired, and broad shouldered man, with white skin and blue eyes. He was just staring at Rupert, because he knew Rupert had done something wrong. He had a crooked smile, because he knew a secret.

There was no logical reason why Mr. Lanson should be sitting there and that was why Rupert suddenly realized he was in a dream. Mr. Lanson was dead. He hoped that, like most dreams, it would change, and the ghost of Mr. Lanson would disappear or morph into someone else.

But Mr. Lanson did not disappear. And for the entire dream Rupert sat frozen in time, with Mr. Lanson, the dead math teacher, staring endlessly into his eyes. It seemed as real as anything that would happen in his conscious life. Finally Rupert exploded in a fearful, terrified rage and tried to shake himself out of the dream. But inside the dream he had no control over his body and his body remained frozen. He just sat there staring at the strange and knowing smile of Mr. Lanson.

Rupert awoke inside his hospital bed a few hours later, the image of Mr. Lanson still imprinted inside his head. It was a recurring dream. It always seemed so real. It seemed as if Mr. Lanson was a sentient creature. Nina would have said Mr. Lanson was just something from inside his own mind. But then why couldn't he make Mr. Lanson disappear if he was just making shit up?

It was at times like this that Rupert would fall into a desperate depression. Questions about the Universe, and life, and why we exist just to die, would suddenly terrify him as he lay alone in his hospital bed. It was a difficult way to start the day.

The nurse appeared. "And how are we feeling now? Up to a little chit-chat? There are some detectives here to see you."

Rupert smiled at the nurse. "Could you close the blinds for me? Then I guess we may as well get this over with." Rupert tried to shift his body but found he was in too much pain to move, even with the morphine drip. The nurse closed the blinds.

Detective Moore and Detective Langdon entered the room both holding coffees. The nurse looked at them and said, "Not too long. He's fragile still."

"Mr. Hilden. Glad to see you're in one piece after what you went through last night," said Detective Moore as a greeting.

"I guess I should have stayed in that cell. Could have saved everyone some trouble." Rupert grimaced as he spoke.

Detective Moore chuckled and sat down in one of the chairs. Detective Langdon remained standing looking around awkwardly for another chair. "They never have enough chairs in these places," he said.

Detective Moore took a sip of his coffee and made a disgusted face. "Are you kiddin' me? Sweetener? How many times..." he said glaring at Langdon.

"Rupert," Detective Langdon said ignoring Moore. "Why didn't you just wait? We were going to tell you that you were off the hook for the Clayborne murder."

Rupert's eyes widened. "I am?"

"We saw the security footage. We know it wasn't you." Moore shook his head in disappointment. "So why did you go and do something so stupid like that?"

Rupert looked up at the ceiling. "Because I saw this Hans guy across the street. The janitor I told you about."

"Rupert..." Detective Langdon pulled a picture from his briefcase and handed it to Rupert. "We've heard your description. But do you recognize this man?"