𝟎𝟏𝟗

warnings: mentions of emotional and physical abuse

"Hey Cass," you say, walking her back from lunch. "How was lunch?"

She shrugs her shoulders, a lopsided frown laid upon her face. "It was okay," she says in a low tone.

You turn around and lean down, placing your right hand on your knee and the other on her shoulder. You press your lips into a thin line, your eyebrows raising. "What's wrong Cass?"

She stares at you for a moment, her frown dragging onto the floor. She grabs your hand and you stand up, following her to a small bench by the cafeteria. You sit down and she stands still in front of you, a single tear falling down her cheek. Your eyebrows pull together in confusion, worry lacing your features.

The worst of thoughts fills your mind. All you can picture is her father treating her poorly, hurting her in the worst of ways-- physically and emotionally. You reach down and grab her hands, cupping them in your palm. "Cassia? Tell me what's wrong," you say. "You can tell me."

She sniffles, nodding her head. "My d--daddy's being mean."

"How is he being mean, Cassia?"

Her jaw trembles and more tears fall down her cheek. She's struggling to speak, her mouth sewn shut so she won't reveal any information. You don't want to pressure her into saying something she doesn't want to say, but you need to know how he's being "mean."

"He yells at me every day and h--he hits me all the time," she states in a low voice.

You release her hands and you pull her into a hug, letting her cry in the crook of your neck. She shakes in your arms, your heart breaking in an instant from the silent sobs she emits. You've never seen Cassia this way, and you begin to wonder if it's as terrible as you imagine it to be.

She removes herself from your arms shortly after, her sniffles shaking her body slightly. She wipes her cheeks with the back of her hand and offers a warm smile. You swipe your tongue across your top lip, already beginning to process how you're going to save her from this mess.

You stand from the bench and you reach down for her hand, her tiny fingers hugging yours. You lead her into the front office and sit her down on a chair, handing her a picture book from the small table next to her. You pull your phone out of your pocket and turn it on, typing in your password. You then open the phone app and quickly type in Spencer's number, pressing call and hearing a ring.

You patiently wait on the line, tapping your foot on the floor while gazing down at the stoic four year-old girl you so desperately need to take in. The dialing comes to an end and he speaks into the phone. "Hey," he says.

You clear your throat. "Hey, I--um, I need your help. Can you come to the school please?" You ask. "ASAP."

"Is there something wrong?" He queries, concern rising in his tone.

You bring your phone to your chest, covering the speaker. "Hey, Cass I'll be right outside, 'kay?" She nods, and you grab the doorknob, twisting it and pulling open the heavy door. You step outside and let the door close behind you. You lift your phone back to your ear, heaving a sigh. "It's about Cass."

"I'll be right there."

+++

You pace back and forth in the front office, your arms crossed over your chest. It isn't easy to adopt someone, due to the family members that would willingly take her in . And even if you could adopt her, it would take six to eighteen months to have her in your home, and you cannot spend another second leaving her with her bastard of a father.