𝟎𝟎𝟔

You pulled up your black skirt, tucking in the white button up into the soft material. You put your heels on and placed your jewelry on, throwing your slightly curled hair over your shoulder once you clasped the jewelry.

You had an interview at a nearby elementary school- a place no one thought you would want to work in. You didn't love the presence of children, but you didn't hate them. You would be working with kindergartners, loud but sometimes fun children to be around.

You grabbed your bag and walked towards the door, taking your keys from the key holder and opening the door, locking it once you were out.

You turned around, jolting as Spencer's presence surprised you. You were still hurt by his words he said two nights ago, trying your best to avoid his texts as well as encounters you would inevitably have. You pursed your lips and nodded your head, finding a way to move around him- which he would block every possible exit.

"What are you doing?" you shot in a sassy tone, rolling your eyes sourly.

"You've been avoiding me."

"For someone that claims to be a genius, you sure can be dumb." you scoffed, pushing past him towards the stairs.

He grabbed your wrists, pulling you back and pushing you close to him. "What the hell?" you spat, your hand wriggling under his grasp.

"Why?" he queried, his tone serious and strident. "Why what?"

"Come on don't act stupid. You're showing signs that you're lying- your head is turned away from me, your breathing has increased rapidly since I appeared in your line of vision, and your voice has gotten shallow." he sputtered, his grip still strong and suffocating.

You took in a sharp breath, swallowing the lump in your throat that had formed, "Nothing. Now get your hands off of me, I don't think neighbors do what you're doing." you shook him off and walked down the stairs, steadying your breath.

He was right, all you were- were neighbors, just "a friend helping out a friend." but... do friends do what you're doing?

You tried shaking off the thought of Spencer kissing you, treating you more than a friend, touching your lips with no regret.

The thoughts didn't go away though, your imagination reaching awfully inappropriate places throughout your interview. You did mail it, but you would often daydream while the principal and teacher you would be helping out asked you questions.

"Thank you so much Miss Y/L/N. We will reach out to you when we make our decision." the dark-skinned lady reached her hand out, her beautiful pearly white teeth shining under the bright light, "Have a good day." she continued, letting go of your hand so you could shake the light skinned white lady to her left. "Thank you so much. Have a good day yourselves." you smiled, pulling your skirt down as you left the office and out of the building.

"Get it together Y/N. He doesn't like you like that."

"Just friends."

You drove home in silence, the low sound of Bags by Clairo playing in the car. The song that reminded you of Mia- who you hadn't spoken to in a while.

You picked up your phone and typed out a text, trying your best not to sound like a horrible best friend.

Y/N: hey mia, how are you? how's julia? sorry for being such a shitty friend lately, let's hang out soon so i can make it up to you. love you<3
sent: 12:30 p.m.