The Mafia

MAL POV

I wake up with a splitting headache and face down on a cold concrete floor. I vaguely remember what happened and I immediately start looking around for Julie hoping we're in the same room. I spot her lying down on the other side of the room and I think she's still knocked out. I can see some partial sunlight coming through a boarded and barred up window so it's either the same day or the next morning I'm not sure which.

I slowly stand up and walk over to Julie but doing everything slowly and quietly since I don't know if we're being watched. I squat down and check Julie still has a pulse and thank god she does. I say her name softly a couple times but get no response so I start to lightly shake her and she finally opens her eyes.

"Hey Julie you gotta wake up, I don't know how much you remember but we were taken and now we appear to be locked up in some basement maybe? I mean we aren't handcuffed or anything so I'm sure that's a good sign but I need you to be alert."

"Mal why the fuck are you so calm right now? Everything you just explained doesn't sound like a situation where we should be reacting in a calm fucking way!" Julie yells the last part and I quickly put my hand over her mouth.

"Look Julie keep your voice down, I'm only calm because I've taken courses and know what to do in this situation. Believe me I'm scared as hell but trust me someone will realize we're missing and we'll be saved."

As Julie is about to start talking the door swings open and some guy walks in. I make a mental note of his appearance so if he gets away I can maybe help explain to a sketch artist. It's really hard remembering everything Ashley taught me though. The man doesn't say anything to us instead he gives us each a bottle of water that appear to be untampered along with pre-made sandwiches that seem to be from some sort of carry out. I'm honestly not sure what the hell is going on but I'll take it as a good sign we're getting treated like people.

As he walks out and closes the door I hear his phone ringing and he answers it. I try to listen to the best of my ability and all I hear him say is "but boss how are you so sure she'll come for her cousin?" At this point I'm extremely confused because I thought for sure this was a tactic to get Ashley to do something.

"Ummm hey Julie completely random but your cousin Morgan? I believe that's what you said her name was uh what exactly is her job?" I'm really hoping this answer can help me figure things out but even if she knows her cousins real job I'm sure she won't tell me.

"She works for a think tank but I'm not really sure what she does and I'm not sure how that's relevant to our situation?" Julie shoots me a glare after that so I'm guess questioning her about her family wasn't a good idea right now. However I'm now remembering Ashley telling me something about running into a CIA agent and she'd explain later but she never got a chance to.

"Well I was just curious I didn't know if she had any like super intense secretive job or anything?"

"Now why the hell would you even think that Mal?" I contemplate my answer trying to figure out if I should lie but I decide with the truth.

"It's just I heard the guy say something on the phone he said something like how do you know she'll come for her cousin and it's just I don't have any cousins here but your cousin is here."

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't accuse my family of being the reason we're in this mess. We don't know why we're here and we're all we have so let's not go pointing fingers and starting fights ok?" I just nod my head in agreement and proceed to eat the stuff we were given. The only thing on my mind right now is hoping we get found fast.

ASHLEY POV

It's early in the morning and the suns rising but I'm yet to go to sleep. I've been looking for any sort of lead to be able to find the two most important people to me. The team is still going to play today just to act as if nothing is happening and since Lindsey isn't playing she stayed with me all night because she felt less lonely with me. Today's the day we call in the families and alert them as to what's going on so that'll be fun.

Torres comes into my room to let me know the families will be here shortly and we should meet down in the conference room. I wake Lindsey up and explain to her what's going on so she doesn't wake up while I'm not in the room and start to panic. I put on a suit since that's normally what we wear every day I grab my gun and badge and head down to the lobby.

I walk in and notice both families gathered there and by the look Morgan gives me I think she can tell what it's about.

"So I know you all already know me but none of you know the truth about me. I'm actually an FBI Agent and unfortunately Mal and Julie were abducted last night. Now I know your immediate reaction is to blame me since I have a connection to both of them and I completely understand if you all hate me. My partner and I will be working non stop to find them. I'm very sorry that this has happened."

I sit down and give the families some time to process but just as I sit down I see Morgan look at her phone and immediately loose all the color from her face. Julies dad notices this as well and nods his head for me to go talk to her. I'm relieved he isn't pissed at me. I nod to Torres and we go over to Morgan and pull her aside.

"So Morgan you care to share with us about what just made you look like you've seen a ghost?" Morgan doesn't say anything but instead just turns her phone to face us.

It's a picture of Julie and Mal tied up and unconscious with the words "surrender to us where you killed our father, come alone and tell no one or your cousin and her friend die"

I find it extremely hard to keep myself composed but I have to if I want to be able to stay on this case. Morgan is yet to say a word so Torres asks her what it's about.

"It's the Thompson brothers...as in their father was the infamous mafia leader Christoff Thompson"

After Morgan says that I realize she's the agent who took down that mafia and I quickly realize how serious of an issue this really is.

Authors note:

I have published the first 5 parts of my new book it's titled "falling for Pugh".