In A Jam

ASHLEY POV

Well this certainly isn't how I wanted our first date to go but I can't just witness this little old lady get robbed I have to do something to stop it. "Julie just stay here and I'm gonna handle this I'll be ok I promise." Julie is definitely hesitant in letting me do this but she doesn't know I have a gun and she certainly doesn't know my background and something tells me if this turns into a chase she's gonna follow.

I cross the street and approach the situation while slowly unclipping my gun but leaving it in the holster still. "Uh hey there buddy how about we just calmly put the gun down, let the poor lady go and you can just walk off like none of this happened." Sure it's not ideal to let him get away but my focus is to save this lady. He looks at me then back at the lady then points the gun at me then decides to grab her purse and just take off running. Why? Why do they always have to run? "Ma'am please stay here just get in your car and lock it I will catch him get your purse and get the cops I promise." I immediately take off after him and notice he's still running with his gun out so I pull mine out just to be safe. He keeps cutting down alleys but he hasn't cut down one yet where I can keep running and go to an intersecting one and grab him but I'm sure he'll make that mistake soon so I just keep chasing. I pull out my phone and call the Captain of the police department I'm close with to let him know I might need some help.

As the phone is ringing the guy starts throwing trash cans in my way that I have to jump over. "Hunt, what do you have for me this time?" The older man says "Oh uh hey captain so I'm in a little jam here long story short saw a man trying to rob an old lady and well now I'm chasing him. We're a couple blocks from the precinct just send some cops out on food and I'll nab him for you." The captain is used to these calls from me by now. The man cuts across the street and I run after him sliding over the hood of a car as it abruptly stops. He finally cuts down an alley where I know I can intersect him if I keep running. As soon as he comes out of the alley I tackle him to the ground but sure enough he puts up a fight. I got sucker punched in the gut while he grabs his gun but as soon as he points it at me I kick it out of his hand out of reach and notice it got picked up by Julie I knew she wouldn't just watch. I slam the guy into the wall pull out my gun and tell him to put his hands against the wall. A couple minutes later the cops arrive take him away and I tell him where the lady was.

I look at Julie and know she's probably got questions. "So you're a traveling business woman huh?" She says with a slight laugh. "Ha yes I am just a criminal justice background. I have a concealed carry and I took it with me to be safe after last night and I'm good friends with the captain of that precinct I called him during the chase. Now let's get you back your apartment." We walk back to her apartment she's back to staying at her own place since my rehab is done and I can take care of myself with minimal help from Mal. I give her a kiss goodbye once we get to her apartment then I head back to my place with a huge smile.

As soon as I get outside our apartment door I hear Mal scream and some guys voice say calm down so I immediately get concerned pull my gun out and kick the door in. I see a guy with his back to me and Mal hiding in a corner. "Hey put your hands up and I won't shoot." Then the guy turns around and I'm shocked to see Dansby. "Whoa whoa Ashley it's just me why the fuck do you have a gun and how did you kick that door in?" Well shit I fucked up but hey Mal didn't exactly give me a heads up. "Uh criminal justice background...Mal a word?" I drag Mal into my room and give her the what the fuck look. "Right Ashy I'm sorry I forgot to tell you but you know I'm still friends with Dansby and he's in town playing against the Nationals he had the night off and came over to talk about how things are going with Lindsey and I asked how things are going with attempting to get back his ex." I let out a long sigh before explaining how my night went and why I was so on alert. We agreed it was a wild first date but she said she only heard good things from Julie about it. We go back out into the kitchen and hang out with Dansby just messing around and talking while I give him pointers on his swing since he's in a slump.

LINDSEY POV

I'm sitting in my apartment with Sonnet just staring at the tv thinking about everything. I haven't talked to Mal since the whole thing happened and I ended things with my boyfriend I knew I didn't love him but I need to figure out this feelings for Mal. I don't want it to fuck up the team dynamics and like who knows maybe I don't even like her that way maybe it's because of how shitty my relationship was. Oh who am I kidding I love the damn girl. I poured my feelings out to Sonnet about half an hour ago and she immediately called Tobin to get her over here to help me.

I hear the apartment door open and turn to see Tobin I immediately sprint to her and bury my face in her chest. "Alright Linds it's ok but you gotta tell me what's wrong you guys called me over saying 911." I just sob harder before finally talking. "I messed up really Toby. I don't know what to do I need help."

We go and sit on the couch with me still crying like a little baby and Tobin just waiting for me to tell her what's going on. I fill her in on everything that happened with Ashley's "hunting accident" and how I went to help and the Mal situation how we kissed and the cuddling and as I finish explaining I finally feel myself stop crying. Tobin is looking at me totally shocked.

"Well I am shocked however I did see it coming. Why don't you just call Mal? See what's going on in her head. I know you hurt her when you ran out and stopped talking to her but you never know." I shake my head no furiously. "I can't just call Tobs she won't answer I've tried calling the last couple days." Tobin thinks for a minute before speaking. "I have a perfect idea, Christen is playing the spirit this week there flight just got in a little bit ago around 9:30 and she's supposed to be staying with them so I can call see if she's there." I agree to the plan and Tobin goes ahead and calls. "Hey Mal I was just wondering if Christen is at your apartment yet? Their flight landed about a half an hour ago so I wasn't sure." I hear some talking and laughing on the other end of the phone then Mal yelling at whoever it is to shut up and hearing her voice is like heaven.

Then Tobin says something and my heart shatters. "Ah alright so it's just you Ashley and Dansby? Yeah I see well just let me know when she makes it there safely in case she forgets to text me alright thanks Mal bye." I can't believe it I missed my chance and Dansby got her back. Tobin and Sonnet come hold me on the couch while I cry once again. Tobin speaks in a softer tone this time her more gentle apologetic tone "I'm so sorry Linds but it'll be ok."

I love Mal I knew I did but I was too scared I shouldn't have ran out and ghosted her.